How long as a seller am I responsible for health issues? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
greenknight exotics
How long as a seller am I responsible for health issues?

I ask this question because I now am in the position of having to stand my ground against a buyer who feels I should pay for part, if not all of his recent vet bill due to parasites, even though I sold him the dragon on February 17th.
He checked over the dragon multiple times when he arrived to the expo, he then had me hold him for an hour and a half, which he spent perusing the other 100+ vendors.
Everything was fine, he bought 2 male breeders from me, and over the first 2 weeks I received 6-8(approx.) phone calls stating that while the one male was "doing fine", the other was only eating if being hand-fed.
I tried reassuring him that dragons could take a couple of weeks to adjust, even though he was making it seem like he felt ripped off.
2 and a half months later, I am now getting phone calls about the parasite ridden dragon,....which happens to be the one that was "doing fine"! Unfortunately, he doesn't remember things happening this way, and is insisting that NEITHER dragon was doing well at first.
I'm standing by my 30 day guarantee, and I even stand by,.."hey, it's been 35 or so days,...no problem, let's work something out", but not after 10 weeks.
Part of dealing with live animals, but can anyone share a similar experience?
This is the first unhappy customer I've had, and while I do want the best for the animals and for his success, I'm not willing to put myself out any more than I already have.
Oh yeah,....the 2 proven breeders were NOT normals, and both were sold for a total of $250.
Thanks for any insight,
Dave Green

Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
heartmountain
You're not. Your 30 day guarentee is longer than most would go already. Parasites happen, it's not your problem.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
midnight_962002
I agree. It is not your problem. I test all my new animals when I get them within a couple days of getting them. Then my breeders are all tested periodically.

Why he would hold off so long on testing animals, especially since one isn't eating well doesn't make sense.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
kellysballs
You owe this customer nothing and in no way am I saying the animal in question had parasites at the time of purchase but I personally learned this lesson the hard way and now this buyer will have to as well.

Everyone should have their newly purchased animals tested for parasites immediately after receiving them. If you don't and you wait there is no way to say the parasites where existing in the animal at the time of purchase. From the buyers point of view they will believe the animal did, but there is no proof since he/she did not have the animal tested right away. The buyer should learn a lesson treat the animal and move on.

However if he/she is unhappy with the situation be prepared to defend your rep. Unfortunately dissatisfied customers have a habit of running their mouths. It really sucks and your no longer liable at all for the animal but that is the way things work out sometimes. If you have emails I would keep them just in case he/she tries to drag you through the mud.

Good Luck I hope it works out for you.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
dragongirl6
Lol, guess I'm back on fauna for today.

You are absolutely not responsible. We only have a two week health guarantee! If it's well past your guarantee and he was aware of the guarantee when he got them, he should have had stool samples checked within the guarantee if he wanted you to pay the vet bill.

By the way, is he housing them together? That could be the reason one of them wasn't doing well in the first place. One will always get more food than the other.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
greenknight exotics
Thanks for the reassurance everyone.
Everything that has been stated here was said by me to him over the phone, I invited him to join this site and read, even post if he wanted to,...still nothing though
As for his husbandry practices, the most I could get out of him is that his "housekeeping is immaculate",...kind of sounds like a bed and breakfast for dragons....
I'm more upset for my former animals, they're the one's living there.
Oh well, at least I can honestly say this has been the only real "negative" that I've experienced in breeding and selling animals,..so far
Dave Green

Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
Frankie_P
Hey Dave, I like how you only mention parasites when the main health concern was the contagious skin infections the lizard had from day one that you disguised as being in a shed, and turns out its a skin infections. If anyone if interested in the real story visit this thread and see what a con artist this guy really is:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...202#post613202

Thanks for reading,
-Frank Poertner

Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
bearded_leo
Exclamation I like a 14 day guarantee of health...

Mr. Green,

I have recently entered the industry - bringing my hobby to a new level... To share my passion for bearded dragons and leopard gecko`s with others...

In regards to a "time" guarantee for reptile health:
A 14 day vs 30 day guarantee would be ideal, it doesn`t take into account a possibility of negligence on the part of the new owner...

When the reptiles are out of your hands, you have little or no control over how they are kept, let alone if they are kept in appropriate enclosures and provided with the appropriate heating sources and UVB lights etc... Or if they`re kept separately...!

I find it hard to guarantee reptiles to anyone as I don`t know how they are being kept, or if they are being provided the appropriate food, and heat sources! Additionally I guarantee a `live arrival`only if they are picked up from the airport within 2 hours of them arriving; or received when they are delivered... Otherwise such a guarantee is "null and void"...

Additionally: Pictures of the reptiles are handy prior to selling them as well as keeper notes of general care and any "issues" to report for our own documentation in case of such issues arising...

Fecal tests for parasites prior to selling them may aid in a defense, but they can be costly if you are not doing them yourself, and really... You do not need to do them unless you suspect anything right...?

Honestly, I don't know what else to say... Some keepers offer 30 day guarantee's, others don't guarantee their animals past their interception - as in a live arrival guarantee and clean bill of health...

I think there could be an industry standard, but at the same time... How many keepers are full time reptile keepers vs hobby gone small home-based business to share their passion...

Anyone have any thoughts!?!?!?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie_P
Hey Dave, I like how you only mention parasites when the main health concern was the contagious skin infections the lizard had from day one that you disguised as being in a shed, and turns out its a skin infections. If anyone if interested in the real story visit this thread and see what a con artist this guy really is:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...202#post613202

Thanks for reading,
-Frank Poertner
The cite was vague 'contagious skin infections'. EXACTLY what was it? If it was contagious, the vet should have diagnosed it with a name. In fact, scan and post the vet papers.

I have heard that lizards can have a few parasites which can multiply when put into stressful situations.

My opinion on the OP question: On parasites, I think 30 days is generous. For one thing, a buyer with any serious concerns will have their new lizard at the vet long before then. If they do not, their negligent lack of care is a contributory cause and they can't claim full reimbursement from the seller.
But as far as other health issues, in my opinion if a seller hides or does not disclose a serious adverse health issue he has reason to know of prior to the sale, he remains responsible, period.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!