Minor rant about scam prevention - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
aleria
Minor rant about scam prevention

Ok, I was just going to make this a response to a post on the boi, but considering the fact that I've seen basically this same post in one form or another in every single boi thread I figured I'd just make it a thread all it's own.

I see so many people state, in regards to someone else being scammed, that they "won't do business with someone unless they can talk to them on the phone so they can see if they sound like a scammer". I see absolutely zero logic in this train of thought. Sure, maybe that might help you weed out the scammers from other countries that obviously wouldn't even be able to give you a phone number. But can anyone truly say that it's any harder for someone to lie while speaking than while typing?

And of course unless you feel like going back and rehashing absolutely every single point made during that phone conversation later on in an email, then you really are screwing yourself when it comes to both buyer and seller protection. Anything said during that phone conversation that isn't later re-discussed in an email is just plain hearsay, there is no record of it, so there is no way for you to go back and claim that the seller ever even stated anything you are claiming they did and have any real proof of it.
Sure a phone conversation with the person with some general chit chat about their husbandry, experience, knowledge, etc. might be nice to get a feel for the person as I know some people really do prefer a phone conversation to email. But when it comes to anything really important with the transaction I just don't see how a phone conversation can prevent any scamming.

I personally hate talking on the phone and avoid it at all costs. Hell, I spent hours teaching my parents how to use email and IM just so I wouldn't have to talk to them on the phone any more.

But when it comes time for me to start selling, does that mean I'm going to have people decide not to do business with me just because I would prefer to keep everything in a secure, fully archived and monitored environment such as email rather than a phone conversation? I mean I would feel like I was being annoying going back and typing up an email after every phone conversation going over each and every point of any importance and have them agree with it just to cover my ass with every transaction. But it seems like that would be the only way to do it and not leave myself open to people coming back later on trying to claim that I said one thing on the phone and another in email.

I'm sure at this point most people can't even count the number of threads we've come across where that exact argument has come up, claiming something majorly important to the transaction was discussed over the phone, and now everyone is left with no proof of that fact and someone is getting screwed because of it.

Sorry, it all just seems a little ridiculous to me that so many people over the years have stated that they will actually refuse to do business with someone that would prefer not to discuss transactions over the phone, when in all actuality it really is protecting both the buyer and the seller NOT to do so.
<end rant>

Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Twizted Paths
100%

The other thing I take issue with is people fussing because somebody is selling awesome animals, but doesn't have them plastered all over the net.

When I produce I'll post parent & litter pictures for buyers to see. My entire collection though? No way. Just bits and pieces, especially the way things are going with exotics laws now days.

Also, to those who say that they never see someone buying animals so they probably don't have them ~ You won't see me posting in the ads. Maybe, if you're looking, you'll see my name at the bottom viewing it before the sold sign pops up.

Ask for references, do an Inquiry on the BOI, pay with a credit card ~ do your research and cover your back.

Every new transaction is a calculated risk, even good guys can fall.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
bradleymoore
i concur. it seems a potential buyer is interested in talking on the phone to get shipping details when i already spelled it out in black and white through an email.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
Talking on the phone CAN expose a minor trying to pose as an adult however. If it sounds like a 12 year old.. probably shouldn't deal with them. A moment to talk to someone on a phone may reassure a buyer, since emails are easily abandoned, while phones are not also so easy. Yes, I realize... the teen can sound older, or get someone else to pose as him, and there are disposable phones.. but then.. a experianced scammer is going to fool you no matter what. So any scammers caught out by any means, whether it's double-checking on the BOI or talking on the phone.. is more scammers caught!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
WingedWolf
Just take care, I know some adults who do sound like children on the phone, lol.
I hate the phone, too, it's too difficult to keep records of communication and ensure that vital things (like addresses) are correct.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
aleria
Yeah, I can't really say judging someone's age by their voice will do you much good. I had people mistake me for my mother on the phone by the time I hit 5. And I have heard plenty of guys and girls that get that deeper more adult sounding voice before they even hit 15. And of course it's rare for any guy not to have gotten a deeper voice by the time they hit 16. So even then, the best you could do is judge if they might be close to not being a minor any more. But 16 is still minor.
And if judging by the way someone talks, that just seems impossible now. I find more and more children that speak as if they've spent years taking courses in proper english and find adults that can't even figure out the most basic terms like the difference between sell and sale.
But even then, age doesn't ever really seem to be much of a factor when it comes to scamming. I seem to see it span everywhere from teens up to those 40+. So sure, it might kind of help you keep from buying from a minor that you can't technically hold to a contract, but nothing more. It just doesn't seem any more likely that someone near my age will scam you than someone older. When money is tight and people can't live the extravagant lifestyles they got accustomed to over the years they tend to be willing to do just about anything to get that life back.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
tinmantribe5
I dont like to talk as much as texting or email because some of us are shy and get tongue tied when talking to Strangers! Thats why I spend my 6.00 a month for my lil ol Domain so I dont have to Be face to face with the public all the time after all this is just a Hobby isnt it?
I have given my name # address via google likes dislikes shown Im real if ya dont believe me than bug some one else because this isnt making me rich or anything!I dont wanna talk to 10 people asking about the same thing "So what kinda snake am I calling about I asked about so many I forgot" Oh ya you want 150 shipped ILL give 50.00 cash No well your snakes suck! Back yard breeder!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
garweft
I don't mind talking on the phone to finalize a sale but do prefer that the majority of the contact be thru email. Like everyone else says it gives a written record of what was agreed to and a timeline.

Also, I teach during the day, and in the evening I'm at home with 2 small children. Keeping the communication thru email allows me to fully answer any questions or offers in the little time I have during breaks in classes, naptime, and before bed. If you do call me chances are I can't answer right then anyway and you'll need to leave a message and wait for me to callback. Plus all my email comes right to my phone so my responses are usually faster..... I can't talk while giving a lecture, but I can give them an example problem to work on while I answer an email on my BB.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!