Don't get scammed! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
WingedWolf
I'll send someone 20 photos of a normal, if that's what they want. Takes less than 15 minutes, and that's worth the $25 sale. I don't see the fuss over it. People who buy snakes care about them--I expect that the people who buy normals from me will actually care what they look like, and will treat them just as well as any morph.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
I'll send someone 20 photos of a normal, if that's what they want. Takes less than 15 minutes, and that's worth the $25 sale. I don't see the fuss over it. People who buy snakes care about them--I expect that the people who buy normals from me will actually care what they look like, and will treat them just as well as any morph.
yeah. even if a normal, I still want to see what I am getting.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #23
chamgirl99471
Unhappy Picture Request

I have a problem here... I don't have a digital camera so I have to take snapshots with a 35 mm and get the pictures developed at CVS and put on disk... I don't always know how they will come out so it's a win lose situation and when buyers may ask for "additional" pictures.. I myself may not always have them available!

I do however have pictures of the animals I post.. I make sure to have at least one decent picture before I post an animals for sale and I always note in my ads that I don't have a digital camera (my next purchase) and that it may take awhile to get additional shots!!

I don't like it but that's the way life is for me right now... bad economy and no money to spend on technology.. lol.. I don't even have High Speed Internet... I'm still on dial-up but my reptiles come first and that's where all my extra money goes ... so be it.... that's the way life is

This is a GREAT Thread by the way... THanks for Posting it

Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by polasian View Post
Some sellers might not want to plaster their pics all over the place for fear that they will be stolen and used for other things.
Which is why on every photo I post I have my company logo.... and it is covering some part of the animal. Is it fool proof... nope... but it keeps my potential customers from having to spend their precious time to contact me for... "hey do you have a photo" type questions.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 AM   #25
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamgirl99471 View Post
I have a problem here... I don't have a digital camera so I have to take snapshots with a 35 mm and get the pictures developed at CVS and put on disk... I don't always know how they will come out so it's a win lose situation and when buyers may ask for "additional" pictures.. I myself may not always have them available!
I for one, as a potential customer, would be understanding if you were not able to provide additional pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polasian View Post
- Refuses (when asked) to provide additional current pictures of the animals offered up for sale.
Again, Its just when someone flat out refuses to send more pictures when they have the means to do so. That's when I take a step back and ask myself "why not?" Just like with someone cant (or prefers not to) communicate via telephone...versus someone who completely cuts off that avenue of communication. So yea, I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Which is why on every photo I post I have my company logo.... and it is covering some part of the animal. Is it fool proof... nope... but it keeps my potential customers from having to spend their precious time to contact me for... "hey do you have a photo" type questions.
Yes, as Christine's photographs show, this is absolutely the best thing one can do to protect themselves, while at the same time making it easier for the potential buyers to make a decision. However, every person has different reasons for how they prefer to deal with a transaction...and no single reason above can (definitively) weed out a scammer. Some sellers would rather post their photos, others would rather be asked "hey do you have a photo?" That alone does not make one nor the other a scammer. I'm simply throwing out arguments from both sides of each potential concern. Having said that, yes, watermarks are my friend.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #26
shlages
Hey Nick,could you pm me about watermarking?Dieing to post pics here but afraid of them getting hijacked...Sorry for going off topic slightly.
On topic...Nick, not everybody is a telephone person.Personally I am not fond of it @ all, even with friends or family.I understand how that could raise some suspicion though.This thread was/is a great idea bro.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #27
WiseReptiles
Shlages, watermarking is very easy. We use vitual watermarking to do ours. But there are many many programs out there. Here is an example of the watermark.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
sschind
I wouldn't necessarily consider these red flags but they do turn me off on ads.

Not having your full name. Putting up a nice ad and then simply signing it Bob will turn me off. Mainly because I can't do a search for Bob on the BOI. If you have a link to a website and the information is on the website then that is OK but I had better be able to find out what your full name is and not have to ask you for it or I probably won't contact you. I've even been on websites that don't even include that information. If you are big enough that might be OK. I don't know if Kevin has his name anywhere on his sit but pretty much anyone in the reptile hobby has heard or NERD and if i need to find out who owned it I could. Not so many people may have heard of Bobssnakes.com.

Not having a location in your ad can be a turn off as well. Obviously it is essential if you are selling something with local pickup only but even if that is just an option you need to let people know where you are. If you are shipping its not as big of a deal but still, I would like to know if local pickup is an option. Weather also plays into it and while what the weather is here is more important than what it is there it is still nice to know if you will be shipping out in 100 degree heat or a blizzard.

I just saw an add on a regional site that interested me. The price was fine if I could pick the animals up but not if I have to pay shipping, especially in this weather. I have no idea where the animals are and I only know the guy by a screen name. Most likely I will pass.

I do realize that putting too much information out on the web can be a bad thing but what is wrong with putting in your ad your full name and at least an inkling of where you are (SE Wisconsin for example) Again, these may not really be red flags but if people are that secretive about their name and location it kind of makes one wonder what else they may be hiding.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #29
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
I don't know if Kevin has his name anywhere on his site...

Why yes I do... and its on the home page. No digging required

Quote:
Whether you're a breeder looking for some new bloodlines or someone in search of a great looking pet, we will meet and/or exceed your expectations. If you have any questions, we encourage you to contact us and thanks for stopping by.

Kevin Batchelor
Owner, RidgeTop Reptiles
www.ridgetopreptiles.com

Old 02-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #30
paulWTAMU
I'm sort of of two minds about the photos--one or two is fine and reasonable, even of low end animals, but I understand why a breeder would tell a guy to go away if he wants umpteen photos of an animal (particularly a normal). I (usually) want to see what I'm getting, but I don't expect a portfolio of each animal I'm interested in.

I have bought sight unseen a time or two, just depending...but yeah, reasonable to want to know what you're getting. Not reasonable to want a quadrillion photos.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!