Don't get scammed! - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #81
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyExotics View Post
I do understand the law enforcement issue, I really do. However, regardless of how a trade works out, they will still get your address. This was a "ship to me first" deal. What am I supposed to do, not give them my address to ship me something? Do you not see where the trust factor lies? I could not tell someone relatively new to ship as a hold at Fedex or UPS so that I could pick it up without giving someone my not-so-personal info. Its not like he is asking for my social security number.
Like I said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
As to your deal.... maybe you had givin him your addy before the request and he looked you up. That in of itself would kinda freak me out, but if he had your addy before the request was made then I could see why you would be willing to honor the request.
I have done two trade deals with "ship to me first" stipulations. I gave them my addy with no problems. HOWEVER non of them went so far as to try and find a photo of my house. That is what Im getting at.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #82
StrictlyExotics
There will always be a first.

I guess for me, I will just chalk it up to being accomodating

Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #83
WingedWolf
I think a lot of people don't realize that finding out where someone lives isn't exactly a challenge in this day and age.
Making it difficult to verify that you live where the Google pictures say you live...what's the point of that?
As for addresses...if someone refuses to give me their address in any transaction, that's it...I am not going to do business with them. I need assurances that I'm not dealing with a scammer. Reputation means nothing without an address, because identify theft is alive and well. When you run a BUSINESS from your home, you give up some of your privacy.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #84
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
I think a lot of people don't realize that finding out where someone lives isn't exactly a challenge in this day and age.
Making it difficult to verify that you live where the Google pictures say you live...what's the point of that?
As for addresses...if someone refuses to give me their address in any transaction, that's it...I am not going to do business with them. I need assurances that I'm not dealing with a scammer. Reputation means nothing without an address, because identify theft is alive and well. When you run a BUSINESS from your home, you give up some of your privacy.
^^^^ and the Preacher said, "Amen!"

Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #85
chamgirl99471
I completely agree Donna.... as I said... Privacy is something that means a lot and I know that once I start a transaction with someone I will give out my address and other information!! I just don't want people stopping by the house or having my address thrown all over the internet... Once I start a business I will have a business address... right now it's a hobby for me and the animals I sell are personal pets (future breeders)! As soon as I can... I am going to rent my own little business and that will be the ONLY address I give out for reptile related stuff

Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #86
WingedWolf
I know exactly how you feel, Catharine, as I feel the same way--I don't like having people come to the house, though I have allowed locals to pick things up on occasion. I do not invite them inside. But my dislike of having my privacy invaded or my address known is something I have to just put aside--I'm a business, and it's necessary if I want to sell stuff. I do not have the luxury of a separate business location right now, and I probably won't for years. I make a living from my home based businesses, though--so, this is just the sacrifice I have to make.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #87
Shadera
There is such a thing as turning down a sale. I do it all the time.

I think we're talking about two different animals Dean. If someone's shipping something to me, of course I'll give them my address. And my phone number too so I can be contacted if there are problems. But I'm not gonna give that info out while we're in the middle of the deal, so they can point cameras at where I live. I'm just not comfortable going there. And I have no problem telling someone no deal if they insist on it. This is a hobby for me first and foremost. It is only a business because it has to be. And I didn't sign any paperwork when I got that license saying that I had to sell to the first person with cash in hand wanting to push me around. This is not my primary source of income, probably never will be and I'm fine with that.

They can see my snake room if they're curious about whether or not I keep my animals humanely, the snake they're buying, snake on paper with their name on it, whatever. But my home and my personal belongings? No deal. Like I have said, if my rep and my animals don't do the talking, that's not someone I'd sell to anyways. Hope that clarified it.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #88
Cp3_Pythons
I came in way late on this one as I start to start up my own busness in the reptile world I also run it from my home due to I dont have the Capital for a retail space My door has always been open to everyone I do take my privacy seriously so naturally dont show up at 8 9 or 10 at night w/o calling first The salker-ish behavoir seen in people at times can be very mis-leading I at times come off in a manner that could easly be mistaken I truly beleave its not so much you dont want people to know where you live due to amount of time patiance and money you have invested and dont want some "punk" finding out where you stay and all of a sudden everythings gone Its more to protect your investment IMO

I mean if someone wants to come look at my set up admire it diss it or give out pointers/advice (or even sit back play cards n drink a few beers) buy an animal look at the sire/dam before putting a deposit on an animal and I own the sire/dam (I do own all the CB Bp I will produce hopping late this year earlier next year other reptile's (I.e Bearded Dragons Cornsnake's Boa's) I sell I do not Burms are the exception) even if they would prefer to pick up at my house

I mean security systems have gotten better audio & visual camera's in plain sight some hidden Yes it is your home FIRST bussness second protect them both I got hit and took almost to cleaners by a scammer did he come to my house Nope sure didnt I wish he would though LMAO I also have my 3 year old son in my house If someone is truly ignorant to come to your House/Bussness and try something out the way They deserve whats comming to them I only have a fraction of what most of you have invested if that
In all Honesty no matter what you do how you try to stop scammers theifs or people with no or bad bussness ethics you cant we wont thats always going to be there lurking for another victum all we can do is look for signs and Say NO to the deal If we think something is up

Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #89
StrictlyExotics
Clarence, regarding that guy that scammed you, did you look up his address on Google. When you looked up his address, didnt it show an empty warehouse?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #90
KelliH
I think if a potential customer asked me to take a photo of the outside of my home I would ask them nicely to shop elsewhere.

As far as letting people into my home (which is where my gecko room is), I only allow friends in now. Period. With all these crazy PETAphiles and the like I will never let a stranger in my gecko room ever again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!