Wanted Ornate Diamondback Terrapins (Malaclemys terrapin macrospilota) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
South Austin Turtle
Ornate Diamondback Terrapins (Malaclemys terrapin macrospilota)

Hello,

I am desperately seeking captive bred ornate diamondbacks of any size. I had a small colony several years ago, but my going off to college forced me to part with them sadly. In any event, I still have their secure, outdoor habitat in sunny central Texas just waiting for those ghostly heads to pierce its surface...
Anyhow, if you have legitimate, captive bred macrospilota available, or know someone who does, please drop me a line. I am willing to pay $125 and up depending on size, documented individual history and heritage.

Thank you so much for your time and attention.
Best,
AJ
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Mephys
Good luck with your search. I have been trying to find one for 2 years now. I have yet to see one for sale, and under $250. I have heard the few breeders that have them sell to exporters or they have a long waiting list and usually don't get enoug hatchlings to fullfill the demand. Others just love their ornates too much and sell only to local or known people.

Either way, if you find one, let me know!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
South Austin Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephys View Post
Good luck with your search. I have been trying to find one for 2 years now. I have yet to see one for sale, and under $250. I have heard the few breeders that have them sell to exporters or they have a long waiting list and usually don't get enoug hatchlings to fullfill the demand. Others just love their ornates too much and sell only to local or known people.

Either way, if you find one, let me know!
Yeah, I've been scanning Kingsnake for almost a year now and only found a pair of rather drab yearlings. I know Stephen Chow in CA used to have regular clutches, but I fell out of contact with him years ago now. Man, I still kick myself for not holding onto my three juveniles five years ago. Oh well, 'tis life.

Good luck to you too.
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
RTD81
Has anyone tried Johnathan's Diamondback Terrapin World? He might know where to point you if he doesn't have any available this year. Try: http://www.diamondbackterrapin.com/index2.html

Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Mephys
Definitely did. Unfortunately he didn't produce any hatchlings in 2009. He told me he had better chances to get some this year, but he has a waiting list from 2008, 2009, and now probably 2010, so he won't have enough for the demand.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
akonitony
I just lost my female I had for 20 years. She was a beautiful silver ornate diamondback terrapin, and manged to somehow climb out of her kiddy pool after it rained enough to raise the water level. I was out of town at the time and my wife didn't think to lower the water level after a hard rain. It was my fault for not telling her, but it is still a very jagged pill to swallow. I got her as a freshly hatched baby when I worked at a wildlife rehab facility back in 1990. The vet I worked for said I could take her home to give her the proper "rehab". Anyway, 20 years, and gone in 30 seconds... it suck big green ones.
I will be going down to the beach she was found on next spring to see if I can find another, but it is illegal to sell them from here in Florida. However, I do have a home in Alabama as well, so I'll check to see if there is a legal way I can take them up there with me and possible supply a few to those of you who are worthy of the company of one of these phenomenal creatures. I think I would be willing to trade something like a matamata for one, which might sound a little offsided, but once you see the specific color variation of which I am speaking, you would agree it is a very even trade. I just hope I can find some more babies, because the wild caught adults always seem to fungus up in fresh water and die, so unless you can find a good brackesh-water sanctuary, babies are the only way I know of to keep them long-term in fresh water.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
South Austin Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by akonitony View Post
I just lost my female I had for 20 years. She was a beautiful silver ornate diamondback terrapin, and manged to somehow climb out of her kiddy pool after it rained enough to raise the water level. I was out of town at the time and my wife didn't think to lower the water level after a hard rain. It was my fault for not telling her, but it is still a very jagged pill to swallow. I got her as a freshly hatched baby when I worked at a wildlife rehab facility back in 1990. The vet I worked for said I could take her home to give her the proper "rehab". Anyway, 20 years, and gone in 30 seconds... it suck big green ones.
I will be going down to the beach she was found on next spring to see if I can find another, but it is illegal to sell them from here in Florida. However, I do have a home in Alabama as well, so I'll check to see if there is a legal way I can take them up there with me and possible supply a few to those of you who are worthy of the company of one of these phenomenal creatures. I think I would be willing to trade something like a matamata for one, which might sound a little offsided, but once you see the specific color variation of which I am speaking, you would agree it is a very even trade. I just hope I can find some more babies, because the wild caught adults always seem to fungus up in fresh water and die, so unless you can find a good brackesh-water sanctuary, babies are the only way I know of to keep them long-term in fresh water.
I am very sorry for your loss. It is horrible to lose such a treasured, long-term pet.
I also thank you for the trade offer, but I am not interested in wild harvested individuals without documentation from Florida Fish and Wildlife Department stating their legality. If you have any luck with captive hatchlings in the future, however, please keep my contact info on hand. I want to begin a colony of diverse bloodlines, so perhaps future breeding loans could be in order if you establish a colony as well.
My email is adennis14@gmail.com
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!