Photo's and exact "how to" of popping babies? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
PerfectPetPython
Photo's and exact "how to" of popping babies?

I have recently taken in 46 hatchlings... well, about a week ago.
I would really like to learn how to sex them. I came across a few sites that show how to pop, but... either all of the ones I've been trying to pop are females... which I have high doubts about... or I'm just not doing it right.

I read that it's real simple... all I have to do is bend the tail back a little, and roll my thumb a little above the opening gently but firmly. On one of the snakes, clear stuff came out of it's opening. Well, it's not working. I've even seen some pictures on a website... but they don't help at all.

I've tried probing; I bought the $20 probing set, and I do it gently, but it keeps going down very far and I'm afriad I'm hurting them. I don't want to hurt them.

Does anyone have any step-by-step clear pictures/instructions on popping?

Old 05-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
This is as close as I've seen. Both of these pages have pictures, maybe they'll be of some help anyway.

Sexing snakes from VPI

http://www.pythons.com/probing.html

Scroll down on both pages to fine the popping information.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:15 AM   #3
hhmoore
With popping, it really helps to have somebody demonstrate it for you. The first bunch of times you it it will feel a bit awkward, but the more you do it, the easier it is (and the less you worry about hurting the snake). During my hiatus, I had no reason to pop anything and was quite out of practice when started getting babies last year. I had no problem popping the JC/Ds, but couldn't get the Dumerils boas to save myself. I did a bulk trade of the baby CY spotteds, so I never even bothered with them. With a little luck, I'll get it down again this year (if it doesn't come pretty easily, I'll load a bunch up and head over to a friend's place)

Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
darkbloodwyvern
I wonder if you could find a local herp society or non-evil petstore that could help you with learning how to probe? I would definately try to find a live person in your area who might know how to help. good luck, sounds like you have some work to do!

Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
markface
in years past i was pretty good at probing boa's and pythons for gender . its been along time though so i'm not willing to try it yet . my boss at the petshop is going to go over it with me so that i can relearn it . i was never any good at poping an animal . i always was to afraid of hurting it .

Old 05-09-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Mike Greathouse
All of my experience with popping has been with colubrids and boas.
I don't work with Ball Pythons, but I have always heard that they are notoriously difficult to sex by popping.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
LadyOhh
Popping in babies is more reliable than probing. I only work with balls, and I prefer to pop with babies. Adults are more difficult to pop, but it can be done.

It takes finesse...

Old 05-19-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
PerfectPetPython
today I learned how to do it! I wasn't applying enough pressure, and was doing it in the wrong places... heh.

Now, I came home and popped my first baby, but the hemipenes didn't pop out, just a ball of pink. If it's a female, will a ball of pink pop out? Or nothing at all?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!