Help with ID & value of Red Tails - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-05-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
SnakeMover
Question Help with ID & value of Red Tails

Hi. I bought 6 Columbian Red Tails from Odyssey Reptiles a while ago. The breeder told me that they were possible het for the genetic stripe. Two of the six actually have stripes on the sides and tops of their tails. Now, I've seen regular red tails for anywhere from $45 - $100 or more. The breeder told me these snakes would be worth around $175. He did explain to me that the parents of the 6 that I have are normal. But since 2 of the 6 have stripes, then it's possible that the other 4 are het for stripe. I don't know anything else about the line they come from.

Can some one take a look at the attached pics and help me ID these guys and maybe determine a value for them?

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 09-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
SnakeMover
oops...new here...

Sorry, I'm new and don't know how to post pics. I tried, but no soap. If anyone would like to see the striped red tails, they're on faunaauction. com under snakes/ boas. I may have to pull that auction if my information was incorrect. Please help?

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 09-05-2003, 03:42 PM   #3
SnakeMover
I'll try again for pics

see if it comes out now
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
SnakeMover
here's another one

same guy, top of tail.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
SnakeMover
I'll try 2 this time

nope. I can only do one at a time.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2003, 03:49 PM   #6
SnakeMover
at least it's a god looking snake

here's a full shot. I really hope someone can help me ID these guys and help determine their value.

Thanks,
Dennis
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2003, 06:44 PM   #7
Brian Oakley
Firsst of all it is a good 'ol Colombian. As far as value, that would be based on a few things. First of all, what someone would pay for it and the second (and I feel the most important) is whether it is genetic. If it is genetic it could go for $300-$500.......maybe more if someone wanted to but I doubt it. If it is NOT genetic, I would not pay more than $50.
Brian Oakley

Old 09-08-2003, 08:05 PM   #8
SnakeMover
Sorry, Colombian...

Hi Brian, thanks for replying. By genetic, do you mean is it het for stripe? The breeder told me that the parents were both het for stripe. The mother gave birth to 27 young. 3 of the 27 had stripes from head to tail. The rest had a partial stripe or looked normal. 2 of the 6 I have have a partial stripe. I spoke with the breeder today and he told me that if anyone would like more detail on the genetic line of these snakes that they could contact him. I'm new around here and I just bought them cause they seemed like a good deal in bulk price versus the individual prices I've seen. I don't know much about designer snakes and genetics. I just know how take care of them. (And I'm still learning all I can about that.) The breeder's names are Jeff Terry and Bob Kite of Odyssey Reptiles.

So, if the breeders can confirm genetics, does that mean that these guys would have a higher value than the normal red tails?

Thanks for you response,
Dennis

Old 09-10-2003, 02:06 AM   #9
Brian Oakley
Yes, if the info you received IS correct then they would either be het for stripe OR just a lower grade stripe.
If you have a pair, I would breed the two together and see what happens there (a pair from the same parents).
Good luck!
Brian Oakley

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!