Do these eggs look ok? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Araidia
Do these eggs look ok?

Hi, I'm still kind of new at this and I'm want to make sure I'm not killing these lol. I'm trying substrate-less incubation but i can't seem to get it right. The eggs are 12 days old. All of them candled fine with lots of veins but I can't get the humidity right it seems. First i didn't have the plastic wrap just the lid and the humidity got too low and they dented a bit, one on the end has dented really bad but the ones in the middle are fine. So i put plastic wrap on to raise the humidity, now it's about 90% but now i have mold. It's only a little white mold on the sides of the two on each end and I wiped it off. I don't see any condensation so far, the sides are damp but nothings dripping on them so i don't think it's that, what else would make them mold, they still have plenty of veins. So do they look ok to you? Is there anything else i can do to make sure i don't kill them? Also how much denting is normal? Sorry for the million questions lol.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Matt2979
For the mold, I've used anti-fungus foot spray. I just sprayed some on a paper towel and wiped the mold off. As far as denting, it seems (in my experience) that each clutch is different, despite having the same set-up for each. But honestly, I only check on mine a couple of times throughout the incubation process, just to make sure my medium isn't getting too dry, and to make sure that there's no bad mold problems.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
GreenCountryHerp
At 12 days old you should have little to no dimpling. Its hard to see in your picture but I would say if you get them rehydrated they should be ok. I use the Glad press and seal on my tubs to hold in the humidity. I can also see in your pic that you have alot of water in the bottom of the tub. You don't want your substrate saturated, that is probably where you are getting the mold problem from. If you have the tub properly sealed with plastic wrap or press and seal you don't need a lot of water to maintain good humidity.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Araidia
How do you rehydrate them? I heard some people use wet paper towels. Will that be to much moisture though? And thanks for the anti fungal idea, I'll pick some up today. The eggs are about a half inch over the water but do you think i should add another layer of the plastic grid?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
GreenCountryHerp
I would decrease the amount of water in your substrate. To rehydrate you just need to keep good humidity in the tub.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Precision Pythons
I do substrateless incubation as well. Put about 2" of perlite in there, and put water in it until it's about 1.5" high or so, it will be almost up to the top of the perlite but not quite. Use glad Press N Seal.

100% humidity. Problem solved.

In your case, to rehydrate just add warm water in one corner until it gets up to the desired height. Hope that helps.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Araidia
Thanks for all the help guys. I put them on a second layer of plastic grid so the bottoms aren't so close to the water and it has 2 in of perlite now and they got some anti fungal powder on the two that had mold and i don't see any new mold and with the press and seal the humidity's finally 100%. Hopefully they'll fill back in a bit and all hatch. I can't wait till they do, they're my first eggs from the the first snake i ever got. I've had her for almost ten years, she's what made me love ball pythons. So hopefully I'll have some pretty lemon pastels soon.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Quiet Tempest
Looking forward to seeing these hatch for you!

Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
Abby
They should plump right up for you, had some eggs get way more dehydrated than that this year and they re-hydrated over a few days hatched fine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!