Sexing baby beardies? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Kozidragons
Sexing baby beardies?

I have 9 3 1/2 or so week old baby beardies...is it possible to sex them at such a young age? I know how to sex the juvies and adults...I didn't think you could ...just curious

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Valley Dragons
It's totally possible if you know what you are doing! I am able to sex mine very early, but you need good eyes, good lighting, and a knowlege of what to look for. And males will always be easier to tell for sure at a young age...

Start by holding the dragon in one hand, with it's tail pointed towards you. While holding the dragon in one hand, lift the tail at a 90* angle straight up. Apply slight pressure to the back of the tail as you pull up and back VERY gently. A male's hemipenes will look like small, thin tendons on either side above the vent. A female will appear flat, or she will have a slight bump right above the middle of the vent. Srong lighting from above will help you to see the differences. It is not totally fool-proof, but generally very accurate!

I hope this helps!

Jamie

Old 06-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Dragons
It's totally possible if you know what you are doing! I am able to sex mine very early, but you need good eyes, good lighting, and a knowlege of what to look for. And males will always be easier to tell for sure at a young age...

Start by holding the dragon in one hand, with it's tail pointed towards you. While holding the dragon in one hand, lift the tail at a 90* angle straight up. Apply slight pressure to the back of the tail as you pull up and back VERY gently. A male's hemipenes will look like small, thin tendons on either side above the vent. A female will appear flat, or she will have a slight bump right above the middle of the vent. Srong lighting from above will help you to see the differences. It is not totally fool-proof, but generally very accurate!

I hope this helps!

Jamie
Great description Jamie. All it takes is learning to identify what you're looking at.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Kozidragons
Thanks everyone I checked and I actually can tell a difference the boys have more of an indent in the middle with the slight humps on either side and the girls are mostly flat with a slight bulge right at the vent

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!