Anybody shipping with FedEx!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Haroldo
Anybody shipping with FedEx!!!

So as most people do, I decide to go "legitimate" and get FedEx certified to ship live animals. I'm at the end of the process and get sent the liability waiver (legally binding document). Get to item "F" of the agreement and find something utterly ridiculous: "Company agrees to waive any right to recieve adjustments, refunds, or credits under the Money Back Guarantee Policy as defined in the FedEx Service Guide in effect at the time of shipment." Now, I can understand them (FedEx) not wanting to be liable for the loss or damage of an animal in transit--if I wanted someone to be liable, I'd ship Delta Dash. But seriously, a shipping company not wanting to be even held liable for shipping charges when its their fault is just unacceptable! The next item (G.): "Company acknowledges hat shipments may be delayed in transit. Company agrees that the event of such a delay, FedEx may in its sole discretion determine that the shipment should be returned to Company. In the event shipments are returned to Company, Company agrees to pay the original applicable transportation charges without regard to the reason for the return of the shipment. Company further recognizes that FedEx has no obligation to monitor the transportation of any shipment or to return it to Company." Sorry, but this seems like quite the license to bend all us [reptile] shippers over! Pay us, if we return your package to you, pay us. If your animals die because of our decision, still pay us. If our packages are late, pay us. There are 11 items in this agreements and I find fault with at least 5 of them. Not to mention that item J: "Company acknowledges that all shipments tendered to FedEx under this Agreement are for Business to Business delivery only. No residential deliveries are allowed under this Agreement." So what the hell is the point of using their service then? Seriously, I see why people still operate under the radar. This is corporate exploitation at its best!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Haroldo
Even worse, for people that think that "Hey, I don't use FedEx, this doesn't matter to me" You'd be making a fundamental and categorical mistake. Corporations and big companies take ques from others. If such a policy is deemed "acceptable" by the target group (us), then all of them (UPS, DHL, etc.) will follow suit and absolve any responsibilites to us as customers. This is no different then governmental regulation being proposed, except its not bounded to state lines. We need to bind up as a community and explicitly propose such provisions. I for one, don't think this is something we should be passive about. They (FedEx) make millions of dollors off us annually, if we stand "deep" enough, we can put them in a position of change...

Old 06-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
LadyOhh
What is it that you propose to do about it?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Haroldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOhh
What is it that you propose to do about it?
Well, I suppose as a community we be proactive (instead of passive) about the provisions. Be that sending a letter of discontent informing them of the outright "unfairness" of these new policies, which single our hobby out. Or alternatively, banding as a group and actively avoiding using their services. I realize I may be a minority in caring about being debunked as a legitimate consumer, but there's still something wrong with this "picture"...

Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldo
Well, I suppose as a community we be proactive (instead of passive) about the provisions. Be that sending a letter of discontent informing them of the outright "unfairness" of these new policies, which single our hobby out. Or alternatively, banding as a group and actively avoiding using their services. I realize I may be a minority in caring about being debunked as a legitimate consumer, but there's still something wrong with this "picture"...
OK, but what alternative shipping method are you recommending besides FedEx for live snakes?

To be perfectly frank, I have been shipping with FedEx for quite a while now, and have no complaints. There has not been a single incident where my package has not showed up on the day it was supposed to. Had some later in the day, (once because the plane broke down on the runway), but never had one even a day later than promised.

I have never filed a claim for late delivery, but in a couple of occasions I got a check from them for later delivery without my initiating that event.

Quite honestly, I seriously doubt that more than three people in FedEx even know about those contractual exclusions or restrictions. They strike me as being legalese CYA terms "just in case"....

Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
INSANE CANES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I have never filed a claim for late delivery, but in a couple of occasions I got a check from them for later delivery without my initiating that event.
Quite honestly, I seriously doubt that more than three people in FedEx even know about those contractual exclusions or restrictions. They strike me as being legalese CYA terms "just in case"....

Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Haroldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
OK, but what alternative shipping method are you recommending besides FedEx for live snakes?

To be perfectly frank, I have been shipping with FedEx for quite a while now, and have no complaints. There has not been a single incident where my package has not showed up on the day it was supposed to. Had some later in the day, (once because the plane broke down on the runway), but never had one even a day later than promised.

To be honest, I have no alternative shipping company in mind, but it still doesn't make the provisions right. I used to ship with UPS, but after several packages being late and/or destroyed, decided to move on to another shipper. Since then, I moved onto FedEx shipping ground and overnight packages several times a week. None of my packages (next day) have shown up late, but that doesn't mean it won't help--anecdotal evidence suggests that it will happen, the longer I stay with them. It's not about the money per se, I guess I am "bothered" by the fact that live animal shippers are singled out amongst an entire consumer base and given special provisions (that severe consumer rights), despite no difference in service rendered.

As far as how wide spread the restrictions are known, they are known from Regional managers all the way down to store clerks at FedEx Kinkos in my parts. Even those centers get updated documents every time FedEx issues them. I guess it won't matter to people until those provisions are "leaned" on...

Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
Stephies_Leos
The fact is we are a minority in the shipping industry so basically FedEx will chance pissing off a few shippers to cover their own a**. The fact is even with those disclaimers on the contract they are the best option for shipping. The ideal would be a separate company establishes and markets itself strictly to live animal shippers. But thats not really feasible for live animals who absolutely positively have to be there overnite. It takes a huge shipper like FedEx to be able to provide that kind of service to live animal shippers. How do you think those reptiles go from Florida to California by 10:30 am the next day? I can't imagine thats a small feat.
Ok so thats all just my opinion take it or leave it. For me the provisions in the contract are all just part of the risk of the whole shipping process. I really don't think if I send an angry letter FedEx will really care and if everyone quits using them it will make a very minor dent in the grand scheme of FedEx business.
But hey, if someone has a great idea I will give it some thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!