Oregon state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:49 PM   #1
Adamanteus
Oregon state law issues

State Homepage - http://www.oregon.gov/

State Legislature - http://www.leg.state.or.us/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/home.html

Old 08-28-2003, 03:01 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Potential Oregon legislation

Proposed code change that could affect herp ownership among other things.
Notice two inclusions specifically:
"..venomous snakes, and constricting snakes more than 3 feet in length. "
"..crocodiles and alligators more than 8 inches long, "

Here's the text of the news article, with a link to the source at the bottom.
--------------------------------------------
Code change would limit number of pets in a home

SHAW NEWS SERVICE

OREGON — Officials in Oregon still are seeking input on a proposed code change that would limit how many pets residents can have in their homes.

"We're getting a lot of good ideas from people," Public Health and Safety Commissioner Nicholas Johnson said Monday night.

The council agreed Aug. 11 to delay a decision on the code change until September.

On July 14 Johnson suggested changing the city code to limit the number of pets residents could have in their homes.

The change would limit people residing within the city limits from owning or possessing more than three adult pets. Offspring of the permitted pets less than 3 months old, certain insects and arachnids continuously confined to their enclosures, and fish would be excluded from the provision.

At that time, Johnson said he was suggesting the pet limit in an attempt to crack down on irresponsible pet owners. He said a stronger city ordinance would give the city more authority when dealing with problem pet owners.

Since that meeting, three Oregon residents and one Mount Morris resident denounced the proposed change at the July 28 and Aug. 11 city council meetings. Residents have questioned the need and logic behind the code change.

Monday night Amy Whalen, an employee at the Perfect Parrot pet store, Oregon, echoed similar concerns.

"This would be unfair to those people who do take care of and truly love their pets," said Whalen.

Whalen said 74 people signed a petition against limiting the number of pets and a 100 signed a petition against the proposed exotic pet ordinance.

"Not everyone who signed is from Oregon," said Whalen.

Whalen said limiting the number of pets would impact families and elderly citizens the most.

"There are a lot of elderly citizens that have more than three pets. And what about the 4-H kids who have pets as their projects?" questioned Whalen.

Oregon Mayor tom Stone said current residents likely would be grandfathered in, if the proposed pet limit were to be enacted.

"What usually happens with these types of changes is that current pet owners would be grandfathered in," said Stone. "The change would be effective on a certain date and anyone moving in after that date would have to abide by the change."

Stone said a decision on the proposed code changes will not be made until September. He urged residents to contact commissioners concerning the pet limitation issue.

Other proposed code changes being considered by the council include:

n Requiring fences for all swimming pools that contain 16 or more inches of water.

n Banning residents from owning or possessing exotic pets or feral animals. Exotic pets include but are not limited to prairie dogs, Gambian giant rats, pot-bellied pigs, primates, venomous snakes, and constricting snakes more than 3 feet in length.

Feral animals include but are not limited to skunks, raccoons, opossums, crocodiles and alligators more than 8 inches long, bears, birds of prey such as eagles and hawks, coyotes and wolves or other wild dogs, lynxes, ocelots, and other wild cats.

n Not allowing grass or weeds to grow more than 6 inches in height. The code currently states 8 inches.

n Increasing parking fine violations as follows: two-hour zone, $10; double parked, $10; blocking alley, $10; blocking driveway, $10; 3-5 a.m., $20; fire hydrant, $15; no parking zone, $15; improper parking, $10; yellow line, $10; and parking on sidewalk or terrace, $10.

n Increasing the fine for parking on the street after a snowstorm to $30.

n Increasing the fines for parking on 10th Street (school campus) to $10 for the first offense and $15 up to four violations. The fine would increase to $50 for each offense after the fourth offense.

"I've had a lot of calls about the dogs and swimming pool changes," said commissioner Tom Izer. "This is not going to be an easy decision."

The code changes are available for inspection at the Oregon City Hall, 113 N. Third St. Contact information for commissioners is available by calling city hall at 732-6321.

Copyright 2001-2003 Sauk Valley Newspapers

http://www.saukvalley.com/296064024009633.bsp

Old 05-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Apep
are there any laws in oregon about taking your lizard out in public. i want ot show off my babies and cant find anything about herp laws so can u guys help me.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
Tim Cole
Question You may not want to do that...

1st, what kind of lizard? Taking them out into public areas may be stressful to them. The general public may also object to this.

Under controlled conditions a Bearded Dragon, tame Savanna, or Leopard Gecko may be tolerant of this. Having them in a cage for viewing is much more acceptable than walking around with them cradled in your arms or sitting on your shoulder. John Q public scares easily and you don't want this to backfire on you and cause a disturbance. Educating the public works best in Small dosages in a controlled setting.

This is what I do for a living so I am speaking from 40 years of experience.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Apep
they are sub-adult beardies. and very calm. and i dont have an enclosure outside for any1 to veiw them. and i would like to just walk around a little with them outside

Old 05-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
That crap bites!!! I was planning a move up to Oregon in the next couple years. From what I am reading, it will mostly affect city dwellers. Since I don't do people that well, living outside the city may solve both of My problems. LOL

I'll have to look more into this. I couldn't tell if it was state wide. I either missed it, or it wasn't there.

Rick

Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
The Nothing
As many have heard, this monday the Tualatin city council plans on passing new legislation that affects animal keepers throughout the city. This mostly affect people that keep "exotic" animals including harmless snakes (cornsnakes, boas, the works), arachnids (tarantulas and scorpions), fish (like piranhas) and much much more.

I urge you all to attend the Tualatin City Council meeting this Monday, June 12th, at 7:30 PM. Below is more information about council meetings as well as the extremely restrictive, proposed legislation.

Here is some information about Tualatin council meetings:

Council Meetings

Council meetings are normally the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month, beginning at 7:30pm. Special meetings may be held as required. Council meetings are preceded by a work session at 5:00pm. Work sessions are used to review the agenda and give Council an opportunity to ask questions of staff, to update calendar items, or meet with community leaders. The agenda and Council packet material are available for review in the Library and City offices, and on the City's website at www.ci.tualatin.or.us seven calendar days prior to the Council meeting.

Council meetings are televised live on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month at 7:30 p.m. on Tualatin Valley Television Cable Channel 28. The Council meetings are rebroadcast on Wednesdays at 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., Fridays at 4:00 p.m., Saturdays at 2:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 7:00 a.m.

Here is a PDF file for the agenda for Monday's meeting:
http://www.ci.tualatin.or.us/city/De...et20060612.pdf

Tualatin Municipal Code that will be repealed or amended:

6-4-010 Definitions. (would be amended)
As used in this Chapter the following definitions
apply:
(1) "Person" means a natural person, firm,
partnership, association or corporation.
(2) "Person in charge of property" means
an agent, occupant, lessee, contract purchaser
or other person having possession or control of
property or the supervision of any construction
project.
(3) "Person responsible" means the person
responsible for abating a nuisance shall include:
(a) The owner.
(b) The person in charge of property, as
defined in Subsection (2).
(c) The person who caused to come
into or continue in existence a nuisance as defined
in this ordinance or another ordinance of
this City.
(4) "Public place" means a building, way,
place or accommodation, whether publicly or
privately owned, open and available to the general
public. [Ord. 501-80 §1, March 10, 1980.]

6-4-020 Dangerous Animals. (would be replealed)
No owner or person in charge of an animal
shall permit an animal which is dangerous to
the public health or safety to be exposed in
public. If the animal is exposed in public, it
may be taken into custody by the City and disposed
of in accordance with the procedures
provided by ordinance for the impoundment of
dogs; except that before the animal is released
by the City, the municipal judge must find that
proper precautions will be taken to insure the
public health and safety. [Ord. 501-80 §2, March 10, 1980.]

6-4-230 Penalties. (would be amended to no less than $250 and upwards of $500 fines)
Any person or persons who shall be convicted
of being the author or keeper of a nuisance,
or otherwise guilty of a violation of any
of the provisions of this ordinance, commits a
civil infraction and shall be fined not less
$10.00, nor more than $50.00 for the first offense,
and for the second and all subsequent offenses,
not less than $25.00, nor more than
$500.00. [Ord. 501-80 §52, March 10, 1980; Ord. 699-86, June 23, 1986.]

the whole animal code can be found in this PDF file: http://www.ci.tualatin.or.us/city/De...Chapter6-4.pdf

the proposed legislation will ammend TMC 6-4-010 to read:
TMC6-4-10 DEFINITIONS
As used in the Chapter the following definitions apply:
(1) "Exotic, wild, or dangerous animal(s)" means any animal which, because of its size, vicious nature, poisonous bite or sting, or other characteristics, would constitute a danger to human life or property if not kept or maintained under the immediate control of the owner. Exotic, wild or dangerous animals include but are not limited to:
(a) Cats other than the Felis catus (domestic cat).
(b) Nonhuman primates.
(c) Wolves, coyotes, or other canines not of the species Canis familaris (domestic dog).
(d) Sharks, dogfish, piranha, or similar carnivorous fish.
(e) Poisonous reptiles and snapping turtles.
(f) Crocodiles, alligators or lizards of species whose average adult length is greater than two (2) feet.
(g) Snakes of a species whose average adult length is greater than two (2) feet.
(g) Bats.
(h) Skunks, weasels, badgers, foxes, mammals of the raccoon family, or wolverines.
(i) Boars or wild pigs.
(j) Bears.
(k) Eagles, hawks, buzzards or similar predatory birds.
(l) Poisonous or stinging insects or arachnids (including bees kept in a hive).
(2) "Person" means a natural person, firm,
partnership, association or corporation.
(3) "Person in charge of property" means
an agent, occupant, lessee, contract purchaser
or other person having possession or control of
property or the supervision of any construction
project.
(4) "Person responsible" means the person
responsible for abating a nuisance shall include:
(a) The owner.
(b) The person in charge of property, as
defined in Subsection (2).
(c) The person who caused to come
into or continue in existence a nuisance as defined
in this ordinance or another ordinance of
this City.
(5) "Public place" means a building, way,
place or accommodation, whether publicly or
privately owned, open and available to the general
public.

the addition of TMC 6-4-021 reads:
6-4-021 Exotic, Wild or Dangerous Animals.
No person shall keep an exotic, wild or dangerous animal within the City. To do so constitutes a nuisance and may be abated as provided in this chapter or cited as a civil infraction pursuant to this chapter and Chapter 7-1 or both.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
Tim Cole
At least

venomous snakes are still allowed!

Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
venomous snakes are still allowed!

LOL.............the important stuff, right Tim.

I tried getting My sister involved since She lives there, and is into the political scene somewhat. Her graduation prevented her from getting involved though. I sure hope it does not go through. It would really suck to move there, and have to leave because they tried to make Me get rid of My snakes. I left Cali when they made My guns illegal, and I was raised and have a grand love for that state to this day. Not to mention most of My family is still there.

Rick

Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
The Nothing
good news!

The final agenda has been released
And after emailing each member of the council, the mayor, as well as press coverage, this has been tabled and removed from the agenda

Now we are handwriting invitations to each of the members to a show next weekend and our herp society meeting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!