Ringer - 8 out of 10, Het Pied? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
CombatWombat
Ringer - 8 out of 10, Het Pied?

Hey everyone, I was hoping you could all help me answer a question regarding a visual het?

So I know a ringer isn't a true sign of being a het pied. a ringer is generally non-genetic and nothing to do with whether or not the snake is heterozygous for pied.

BUT when it shows up on 8 out of 10 babies that are produced in one clutch. Does this rule apply? It appeared on Sterling Pastels, Pewters, and a Cinnamon.

The parents were sold as is Blonde Pastel and Pewter. I don't know if it's something with the cinnamon gene or it's a sign of a het.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Photos of the ringer on a sterling pastel and the majority of the full clutch attached.

Thank you
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
CombatWombat
Sorry, that's the Pewter in the photo. Apologies.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
snowgyre
I have noticed that het pied animals have differing patterns and/or brighter colors than their normal counterparts. Without breeding the ringers, it is impossible to confirm if they are truly het pieds, and I'm not sure if anyone has actually done a breeding experiment to address this. However, if I produced those snakes, I would certainly hold back the ringers, because I think they have the most likely chance to prove out.

Great clutch, by the way!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
CombatWombat
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I have noticed that het pied animals have differing patterns and/or brighter colors than their normal counterparts. Without breeding the ringers, it is impossible to confirm if they are truly het pieds, and I'm not sure if anyone has actually done a breeding experiment to address this. However, if I produced those snakes, I would certainly hold back the ringers, because I think they have the most likely chance to prove out.

Great clutch, by the way!

Thank you very much. I love the cinnamon gene.

Once I get them up to breeder size so a few years down the road. I'll breed the one with the most pronounced patterning to a pied. The worst that can happen is a het pied and even then, those can be produced for sure later down the line. It's all just a waiting game.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Big Borg Reptiles
Animals either form anus first or mouth first. Without doing any sort of research, I would bet that snakes form anus first simply because any time we see a ringer it's in the exact same spot around the vent. My theory on ringers is that it's just an issue that happened during formation of the fetus either in the mom or in the egg after laying. I would guess that either the incubation temps or mom temps were too high or too low, and that's why almost the whole clutch has the same issue.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
Big Borg Reptiles
Also, I have het pieds that are super dark and some that are super light. I haven't noticed any reliable indication that they're het. Albinos and hypo in the other hand, I'd argue are generally lighter in color.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
maybe it's simply a common thing that pops up in pewters?

(mine, white patch and light ring around the entire tail area, not het pied)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
het pied