How often does this happen???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
jack2682
How often does this happen????

Hey all you experienced breeders.....

I'm on my third season. Past two seasons I've had a total of three clutches. All females I've paired, have given me eggs...

This season I had four girls (all at least 1800 grams and not thin either) paired with proven males....

I saw good signs, solid locks, follicle development, some bowl wrapping etc....

ONLY one girl has given me a clutch.... What gives ??

How often does this happen... all the conditions seem right, things going well and then nothing...

and FYI... of the three that haven't laid. 1 is proven, the other two are '08 virgins

Thanks as always for your feedback!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
john33
There's more to than following directions. Mother nature does things in her time and the odds are up to God. This phase of the game teaches me patients. every year i have 1-3 girls that hold out on me. Just keep doin what your doing, Your almost there man!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
snowgyre
Sometimes snakes just won't ovulate. I had a female pastel this year that locked up with my male spider repeatedly early in the season, and then again late in the season. No ovulation, no eggs, no nothing. Although it may be a bit disappointing this year, at least the girls will be bigger next year and hopefully make up for the wait with larger clutch sizes!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
stevek123
Same thing happened to me, first time, pairs locked up all looked good, I thought they ovulated and then nothing. BUT the females are still off feed. So did they re-absorb the eggs? What about getting them back on feed? My males are all back on feed, and my females that had clutches are back on feed, but these two girls never laid their eggs and still aren't eating.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
snakesRkewl
A female cannot re-absorb since to re-absorb means she would have absorbed them once before, just clarifying a word often used wrong(even by me occasionally, lol)

Also a female cannot absorb eggs, only follicles, once they ovulate they will throw either slugs, non fertile eggs or fertile eggs.

As far as how often does it happen, before this season, for me, it has happened 2 times out of 17 breeding females in 4 years.
This season it looks like 11 out of 12 of our females will give up eggs, that is assuming the last 4 females packing large follicles do not absorb their follicles.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
stevek123
lol jerry you got me on the re-absorb. So what about them feeding again. Should I sterlize their tub to rmove all scent? but there are no eggs? Just keep offering food?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
snakesRkewl
Keep offering food, maybe even move her to another tub in the rack, cleaning well certainly won't hurt and neither will wiping her off well with warm water.
Offer smaller meals than she's normally offered, if you feed her smalls drop down to a weanling size, I have gone to large fuzzy's a few times and had success.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
stevek123
yeah they usually take mediums and I have been offering smalls all along. One girl will strike and take them all the time but wont eat them.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
gsrept
This happens more often than people would like. But we can not control nature all we can do is give her a little push in the right direction.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!