Did you know you can get Emu eggs in the mail?!? LOL! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
mmm...I think your right~ Royal Palm~ oops! The pretty heritage breed~ white with the blue "fan" on the tail. The lady I bought the blue slates from has Royal Palms laying now~ she is waiting to start selling the eggs until she insure fertility.

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm having a ton of fun already and the only livestock I actually own are still my snakes and the rodents. I've been working on the rodent shed and I'm pretty sure I can turn it into a mighty fine Mouse House before Christmas ~I need dry days to work~ but I'm so greatful for any rain we get I don't mind the progress being slow! It's supposed to rain today so I'm going to truck out all the Christmas decorations and do up the house today. Maybe cruise online a bit more to figure out which eggs I want next. I want to buy tons and get busy~ but I'm already VERY BUSY and I very much do not want to be idiot we've all heard of that got too many animals and could not care for them all. So I have to pace myself some.
But your getting critters you can eat , so no one would ever know if you got overloaded.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
But your getting critters you can eat , so no one would ever know if you got overloaded.
Yeah~ I thought of that......
Thats why I've not actually bought the emu egg yet......
Not sure I'd be willing to eat an emu~ and I don't really want an emu
I just want to HATCH an emu!
LOL

Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
Cat_72
We had a "pet" Emu for awhile.....his name was Bart. Apparently, it's NOT a good idea to teach emus to eat from your hand, because then they think there is ALWAYS food in your hand, and it really freaking hurts when they bite you. He was a lot of fun until then.

Incidentally......emu actually tastes a lot like beef, believe it or not.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:15 AM   #14
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
We had a "pet" Emu for awhile.....his name was Bart. Apparently, it's NOT a good idea to teach emus to eat from your hand, because then they think there is ALWAYS food in your hand, and it really freaking hurts when they bite you. He was a lot of fun until then.

Incidentally......emu actually tastes a lot like beef, believe it or not.

Does this mean you ended up eating Bart?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
mmmm....we like beef................

Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #16
ravensgait
LOL Cat the thought of a roast Emu on the table !!!

Cheryl I used to raise a number of different birds, Bob whites are pretty cool and pretty easy to hatch. Ornamental Pheasant are fun and very nice looking and some are so tame they follow you around like puppies.. But the coolest birds were Canada Geese they think your mom lol and do what you do. Randy

Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #17
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Does this mean you ended up eating Bart?
Um........yep. I actually felt bad about it, until I tasted him. LOL.

That's one of the reasons we don't have any cattle or such on our farm, I make big pets out of them, and refuse to eat them. As a rule, once something has a name here, it cannot be sold or eaten. That did lead to a huge problem when I did raise rabbits....

Randy is absolutely right about the baby Canada geese....ever see that movie "Fly Away Home"? It's just like that, they really do adopt you as their mommy. I've had ducks that were almost as tame, and even a few chickens, but none to the same extent as the geese. Baby peafowl can be a lot of fun too....I used to have one that we raised in the house from the time he came out of the incubator til he was several weeks old, and he followed me and my daughter everywhere. He loved to sit on your shoulder (my daughter taught him that one) which was cute when he was little, not so much when he got bigger (or pooped down your back ).

And LOL, what a picture, a roast emu on the table....I'd have to get a bigger table!!! But actually, the only real meat on an emu (or ostrich, we've eaten them too, but they never were pets lol) is on the legs, and a bit on the wings. But those are some hellish big drumsticks.

I think geese and peafowl are my favorite to raise....call ducks were a fun one too, though. They are noisy little boogers, though..I enjoyed listening to them, but they drove my other half crazy. But then, I liked my guineas too, lol.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 AM   #18
ravensgait
LOL Cat ""That's one of the reasons we don't have any cattle or such on our farm, I make big pets out of them, and refuse to eat them. As a rule, once something has a name here, it cannot be sold or eaten. That did lead to a huge problem when I did raise rabbits.... ""

Just name them after someone who really pisses you off!! I once knew a Pig named Nixon his owners said he was right tasty !! Having grown up on a ranch moo moos that I once knew on the table wasn't a big deal but I have to agree on the rabbit thing I'd have to be some kind of hungry before eating one...Randy

Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 AM   #19
Nagini
That is a great website about he peafowl, though if anyone knows where to get them cheaper, I'd be interested in getting an update in the egg laying season too. My aunt and uncle are building a huge ranch up here and I'd love to surprise them with some baby peafowl, preferably pied and white

Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #20
Cat_72
Hmmmm.....I know a couple of folks that have the whites, but I'm not thinking anyone I know has the pieds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!