Obama and the attempt to destroy the Second Amendment - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #31
KelliH
Quote:
I find the picture above funny at best, so it is guns that cause the crime? How silly is that?
You find it funny?

Quote:
Children and Gun Violence

* America is losing too many children to gun violence. Between 1979 and 2001, gunfire killed 90,000 children and teens in America. (Children's Defense Fund and National Center for Health Statistics)
* In one year, more children and teens died from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, asthma, and HIV/AIDS combined. (Children's Defense Fund)
* The rate of firearm deaths among kids under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
*American kids are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from a firearm accident than children in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control)
*The American Medical Association reports that between 36% and 50% of male eleventh graders believe that they could easily get a gun if they wanted one.
It's not funny at all.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #32
KelliH
Quote:
These people need to teach their children respect, but instead they let them run the house and run the streets even as young as seven years old.
What people are you referring to, Varnyard?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #33
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
You find it funny?

It's not funny at all.
Actually, it is sorta funny. People raise their children with little or no respect for other living beings around them, they don't get disciplined, and they are allowed to run rampant, stay out till early morning hours basically up to no good. So when "those" youngsters get involved with the wrong people, end up in a gun fight with rival gangs, and get there selves dead....................it's the guns fault, right?

So I'm just curious, how many of the dead people in those statistics were bearing a gun themselves? Or involved in the commission of a crime? Why are not those statistics present? I'll bet only a small percentage of those were actually innocent bystanders, though admittedly, sometimes the really innocent people do pay the ultimate price for other peoples lack of respect for the rights of the people around them.

I live in a heavy Hispanic area of the US, and I hear it every day when I see a kid making a scene in Wal-Mart or some other place, and I say, "why don't you discipline the little turd, and make it understood that YOU are the one running things, not them?" The most common answer is? "You can't discipline a young Hispanic male, because it prevents them from becoming a real man." So instead, they grow up, become a gang member, and end up killing people who don't deserve it. And when they end up dead themselves, it's always the fault of someone else.

Personally, I find it hilarious. Except for the truly innocent that lost their life due to a basic lack of moral upbringing on someone else's part.

Safety is in the hands of the wielder, nowhere else. Hold with both hands, control your breathing, take aim, and SQUEEZE the trigger. That's gun control.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #34
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Obama is not the answer by any means. He is not in it for the entire country, but select "groups of people" in the country.
Come on Rick, the exact same thing can be said about every politician in the country. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

And no I am not a Democrat nor a Republican. I am a member of the "No Incumbent Left Standing" party. Vote every single one of them out of office and put an end to career politicians. If they wont pass the legislation for term limits then we need to limit their terms with our votes. Make those parasites go get a real job.

And yes I firmly believe the first step to getting things turned around in this country is to end career politicians. The second is to reel in the power of the federal government and put more power back into the hands of the States, the way it was supposed to be.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #35
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
Come on Rick, the exact same thing can be said about every politician in the country. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The second is to reel in the power of the federal government and put more power back into the hands of the States, the way it was supposed to be.

Couldn't agree more on either account. I'm a bit shamed to admit it, but I lost faith in the election system long ago, when I realized it don't matter which one I vote for, the best liar always ends up in office anyway.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #36
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
I'm a bit shamed to admit it, but I lost faith in the election system long ago, when I realized it don't matter which one I vote for, the best liar always ends up in office anyway.
Is it the system that you truly lost faith in.... or humans? The answer to that question, or at least my answer to that question, is rather frightening.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #37
Cat_72
I don't normally like to discuss politics on an open forum, because it never seems to lead to anything positive, but.....

I fall into the same group as Sammy. I do not consider myself Democrat or Republican, and I honestly don't feel that there's a presidential candidate on the ticket that's worth wasting my time to vote for.

That said.....I firmly believe that if more children were taught proper use, care, and respect for firearms from a young age instead of hiding them away and telling them that they were bad, dangerous, and scary, it would go a long way toward solving the problem of all of these "accidental" deaths involving kids and firearms.

And sorry Kelli, but so what if 50% of high school males could get a gun if they wanted to? I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the kids in my son's class could get a gun at any time they wanted to, my son goes out hunting with many of them. Difference is, it's not a "big deal" for them, as they were raised with them and have the tools they need to know how to use them properly. It's the kids whose parents have hidden them away that scare me.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #38
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
You find it funny?

Quote:
Children and Gun Violence

* America is losing too many children to gun violence. Between 1979 and 2001, gunfire killed 90,000 children and teens in America. (Children's Defense Fund and National Center for Health Statistics)
* In one year, more children and teens died from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, asthma, and HIV/AIDS combined. (Children's Defense Fund)
* The rate of firearm deaths among kids under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
*American kids are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from a firearm accident than children in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control)
*The American Medical Association reports that between 36% and 50% of male eleventh graders believe that they could easily get a gun if they wanted one.

It's not funny at all.
So, where did those "statistics" come from? Sounds like something directly from Handgun Control, Inc. Where "kids" are anywhere in age up to 23 years old......

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #39
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72 View Post
That said.....I firmly believe that if more children were taught proper use, care, and respect for firearms from a young age instead of hiding them away and telling them that they were bad, dangerous, and scary, it would go a long way toward solving the problem of all of these "accidental" deaths involving kids and firearms.

And sorry Kelli, but so what if 50% of high school males could get a gun if they wanted to? I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the kids in my son's class could get a gun at any time they wanted to, my son goes out hunting with many of them. Difference is, it's not a "big deal" for them, as they were raised with them and have the tools they need to know how to use them properly. It's the kids whose parents have hidden them away that scare me.
I could not agree more Cat. If you are going to have a firearm in your home you need to educate your children about the use of them. Ignorance is what gets children killed with guns. I have been taking my daughter shooting since she was 7 or 8 years old.

Now at 13 she knows how to shoot, load, unload, check to see if a round is chambered, safety features, etc, etc of every gun in our house. We shoot together 2 or 3 times a year. I would get her to shoot more but she has no desire to go out and shoot. The guns in my house are no different to her than the lawn mower or weed eater..... and I can barely get her to use those twice a year either.

I firmly believe that the reason she has no interest in them is because first, she was educated and taught to use them. She has all the hands on time with them that she wants. Second is because I didnt make the gun some mythical thing that is never to be touched or talked about. Kinda like dad's Playboys when I was 10 years old. They were taboo, which made them all that more attractive to an inquisitive kid.

All but one of my guns are in a safe. The one is usually within 10 feet of me. My daughter has complete access to that one gun but has absolutely no desire to touch it because she KNOWS what it is and she KNOWS what it does. There is no mystery for her to figure out.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #40
Cat_72
I don't know about the "Childrens Defense Fund" stats, but I've seen very clearly how many of the CDC's stats are skewed. Actually, oftentimes if you read the entire release that the stats are published in, it will tell you how and why they are inaccurate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!