Obama and the attempt to destroy the Second Amendment - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #41
crotalusadamanteus
Probably a bit of both Sammy. The system has it's flaws, but the bigger problem is the misinterpretation these days of whats been written by our founding fathers.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #42
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72 View Post
I don't know about the "Childrens Defense Fund" stats, but I've seen very clearly how many of the CDC's stats are skewed. Actually, oftentimes if you read the entire release that the stats are published in, it will tell you how and why they are inaccurate.
Exactly! And how many of those deaths can be attributed to the "kid" being involved in illegal activities by which he or she VOLUNTARILY put themselves in a risky environment? Yes, 13 and 15 year olds (and up) ARE involved in criminal activities. Peddling drugs and breaking and entering may very well get them shot now and again.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #43
Mooing Tricycle
It is so very simple to get a gun on the black market. If you dont know routes you COULD get one, you either live in a bubble, or you do not speak to many people. Or you live in more isolation than myself.

Is that something im proud to know? Absolutely not. In fact, it was a mistaken discoverey, and one i was highly highly uncomfortable with. It was chilling to find out how close to home some of that stuff really is. Even if its not directly in your life, or even something that you could even begin to think existed. I know i didnt think it so.

Punishing the good and responsible is NOT the way to stop this kind of stuff, because more often than not, those law abiding citizens are NOT causing the problems.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #44
WebSlave
Well, here's a perspective that perhaps this issue needs to be viewed from.

Before there were all the gun laws now on the books, there really wasn't any black market for guns in the USA. If you could afford a gun, you could buy one basically anywhere at all. So right off hand, would you say that society was more or less violent then than it is now?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Well, here's a perspective that perhaps this issue needs to be viewed from.

Before there were all the gun laws now on the books, there really wasn't any black market for guns in the USA. If you could afford a gun, you could buy one basically anywhere at all. So right off hand, would you say that society was more or less violent then than it is now?
I think that stuff has to do with the sheer number of people now than there were way back when.

I think there was much more discipline then too, and a much stronger sense of family than there is today. There were responsibilites, and everyone knew you, and your family, and more than likely your mothers best friend was like a mother to yourself, so you didnt mess up or shed smack ya too, and you were taught that respect from a young age.

People get all whiny about people "Beating their kids" and honestly... a spanking, or chasing a kid around with a belt.... i dont think its all abuse as some cry out. It teaches them to respect authority. ( heck i know it worked for me! i was a demon child! ) There are levels, of course. But i think physical dicipline is necessary sometimes.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #46
johns6068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
I think that stuff has to do with the sheer number of people now than there were way back when.

I think there was much more discipline then too, and a much stronger sense of family than there is today. There were responsibilites, and everyone knew you, and your family, and more than likely your mothers best friend was like a mother to yourself, so you didnt mess up or shed smack ya too, and you were taught that respect from a young age.

People get all whiny about people "Beating their kids" and honestly... a spanking, or chasing a kid around with a belt.... i dont think its all abuse as some cry out. It teaches them to respect authority. ( heck i know it worked for me! i was a demon child! ) There are levels, of course. But i think physical dicipline is necessary sometimes.
110%....Alicia you a Demon Child??? NO WAY!!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #47
KelliH
Quote:
And sorry Kelli, but so what if 50% of high school males could get a gun if they wanted to? I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the kids in my son's class could get a gun at any time they wanted to, my son goes out hunting with many of them. Difference is, it's not a "big deal" for them, as they were raised with them and have the tools they need to know how to use them properly. It's the kids whose parents have hidden them away that scare me.
Oh I agree that if you are going to keep guns in your home you should educate your children about gun safety. That doesn't mean that children should have easy access to them though. For instance, if you have a curious baby/toddler that is beginning to explore and open up kitchen cabinets you make sure the cabinets are locked or you remove anything from the cabinets that could be dangerous to the child. I feel the same way about guns and kids, and that includes high school age males.

I think that if a person with children living with them is going to have firearms in the home the most important things they should do are: keep the guns locked up, teach the kids that guns are dangerous and can kill people, and teach the children how to act safely around a gun. I keep my guns locked up and will continue to do so until I have no more children living in the home.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #48
KelliH
Quote:
So, where did those "statistics" come from? Sounds like something directly from Handgun Control, Inc. Where "kids" are anywhere in age up to 23 years old......
The stats actually came from the National Education Association (I should have credited them).

http://www.neahin.org/about/index.html

Quote:
Exactly! And how many of those deaths can be attributed to the "kid" being involved in illegal activities by which he or she VOLUNTARILY put themselves in a risky environment? Yes, 13 and 15 year olds (and up) ARE involved in criminal activities. Peddling drugs and breaking and entering may very well get them shot now and again.
I tried to find some stats on that but haven't been able to yet. I am curious to find out what percentage of child deaths by firearm are accidental, suicide, happen during them being involved in a criminal act etc.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #49
dprince
Not that this isn't an important issue, but I'm not entirely convinced that WHOEVER gets elected is even going to have time, or the burning desire, to deal with gun control? It hasn't even really been brought up during the campaigning, and with all of the other GINORMOUS issues that this country is facing, I really hope to heavens that they are focused on things like the economy, the deficit, our health care system, social security, our overseas military involvement, etc...........before either of them focuses on this issue.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #50
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprince View Post
Not that this isn't an important issue, but I'm not entirely convinced that WHOEVER gets elected is even going to have time, or the burning desire, to deal with gun control? It hasn't even really been brought up during the campaigning, and with all of the other GINORMOUS issues that this country is facing, I really hope to heavens that they are focused on things like the economy, the deficit, our health care system, social security, our overseas military involvement, etc...........before either of them focuses on this issue.
You aren't kidding they aren't going to have time to focus on gun control. Whichever one gets elected is inheriting a huge mess.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!