What are your 'other' hobbies? - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #61
SirenSanJose
Photography -- I'm at best an advanced novice, just starting to learn to shoot on manual. I like to think I've got a pretty good innate eye for composition, but I don't have the skills to back it up at this point. I need to get off the dang auto settings and learn how to control my f-stop and aperture before I'll be able to get to the place I want to be. I get the occasional shots I'm really pleased with, but they're far between.

(no snakes, nor cats, were harmed -- they were both closely supervised and well under control.)

Edible gardening, especially rare and heirloom edibles. I didn't get much of a garden in this year, but last season I had 18 different heirloom tomatoes planted, and I've got some very special, rare seeds for next spring I managed to get my hands on while in Switzerland of all places.

Fish keeping
-- I actually came to the reptile hobby via my fish hobby.. Santa left me my first tank at 8, and I've been hooked for 22 years. I got a job at a local pet store 5 years ago, started working with reptiles then, and fell in love with them. (It wasn't that I wasn't interested before, but my folks had a strict "no reptiles" rule for pets when we were growing up, so I never got the chance to own any.) As far as I focus on dwarf cichlids (especially African species, like the pelvicachromis genus) and rare lifebearers such as goodeids.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #62
Helenthereef
I love the cat/snake shot, I wonder who would have won...........

I get paid to dive, but it's still very much a hobby and so I get to take photos like these.

And I'm learning to power kite with a view to eventually kite surfing... maybe......if I can work out whether it's me or the kite in charge
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #63
SirenSanJose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I love the cat/snake shot, I wonder who would have won...........

I get paid to dive, but it's still very much a hobby and so I get to take photos like these.

And I'm learning to power kite with a view to eventually kite surfing... maybe......if I can work out whether it's me or the kite in charge
It was quite cute, Little MIss t was in no way aggressive or trying to hurt the snake, just totally confused as to what this big critter was. She initially walked around to Lady Luck's tail and "patted" the tail once or twice (no claws out, just with her paw), which is when Lady Luck turned to face the cat going "hey, that's part of me, paws off!" and when I snagged this shot when Little Miss still had her paw in the air for another tail pat. She never actually went for the snake's head -- one big hissy "huff" from Lady Luck and Little Miss jumped back about a foot decided that this critter was NOT WORTH her trouble. Not nearly as artistic a shot, but it sure was funny!

I am so envious of the diving (and diving photos). I'm certified, but haven't been diving in a good 10 years. I'd need a refresher course at this point. I want to go again, though, I miss it a lot.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #64
charleshanklin
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Love it, Charles! I had no idea I was going to be in Georgia for this long or I would've applied three years ago for the draw-only alligator hunt. It's been one of my dreams to go gator hunting!

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with the hide? Can you sell it or do you keep it?
We still have 5 tags left that need to be filled by the end of the month. It's a lot of fun, I've even done nuisance alligator trapping forthe state. I suggest you send in for your tags because you are definitly missing out.

I have only tanned one hide and I wasn't to happy with it. I'm gonna try another one with someone else and see how it comes out. I am thinking about making fishing rod grips out of the hide too.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #65
smb2585
I don't really have any hobbies? I collect Shot Glasses... have over 50ish? Had friends and family get them from their travels as well... haven't really been up to date on it though...

Also play PS3 and Wii alot... well not as much as before... but I am pretty decent on some Black Ops... better than the boys I know around here that play it.

I bowl on a league on Wednesday Nights... it is probably the highlight of my week and I look foward to it..

Otherwise I am Mom... my daughter is into cheering... we tried softball/t-ball, dance, ballet, tap, etc and the only thing that she is interested in in cheering. So we have 2 competitions a year to go to... One in December and another in June. They are 12 week programs each then a break from June to October.

I like cars... not really into them as much as I used to be back in High School... I was the girl that was under the hood getting dirty and greasy....

I guess I am a tom-boy in many ways. But that is it for me. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #66
WebSlave
Well, since retiring, I guess I actually do have long neglected hobbies I can renew a relationship with. Didn't really have much time available when I had all the animals to take care of.

Spending more time outside planting fruiting trees. There is just something satisfying about planing a tree as a sapling thinking that it will likely be there for it's entire life, probably long after I am dead and gone. Plus it's something special to eat fruit from a tree you grew yourself.

Always liked photography, but got more into video lately. Movement adds another depth to the story you want your images to show, plus you can add audio as well.

Been playing more PC games lately. I find it relaxing as well as challenging enough to keep the gray matter percolating. Been lately playing Just Cause 2 which is quite a lot of fun.

Used to be into guns and shooting targets, but not gotten back there yet. But maybe soon... Sold off a LOT of them a while back to finance my next listed interest.

Always liked fast cars. Started with my 66 GTO way back when. After rebuilding the engine a few times, I finally got tired of it, but that flame still had a flicker to it that never quite died. Still got one car that's been in the shop for two years now. I'm not sure it will ever get straightened out at this point... And yeah, I've always liked tinkering with cars, so when I had the garage built, I figured a lift would be well worthwhile having..
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #67
phoenix-cry
One of my other main hobbies is Steampunk Taxidermy. This is a work in progress of a fox skeleton.

Here is how it started:

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #68
SamanthaJane13
WOW, Lauren!!

That's fascinating and eerie at the same time!!

Does he/she have a name??

Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #69
phoenix-cry
His name is Joules (as in energy).

It is a little creepy...but a lot of fun.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #70
SlytherynHiss Exotics
WOW! We are all so different :-) That`s awesome! I loved reading about everyone else`s Hobbies.
I collect Faery stuff. I have 12 porcelain Faery dolls, several Post card sets in gorgeous Collector`s tins, small figurines, etc. Of course I have drawers full of Tinkerbell T-Shirts and nightgowns, and the "decor" in my car is all Tink.
I also LOVE Nascar! I have a standing date with the TV every Sunday afternoon :-) I have actually been to only 1 race, but I totally LOVED it and can`t wait to attend another. My "Get away from the World" pastime is reading. I truly wish I had more time to just sit with a good book. Favorite authors are Anne Rice, Dean Koontz and Stephen King.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!