Weather - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
Stardust
Weather

I live in Michigan. Normally at this time we would have tons of snow and this is one of the coldest times of the year.
I am not complaining, mind you, just find it strange. Yesterday was in the 40's and the day before the 50's and sunny. Not a snowflake in sight!
Very strange year. Colorado with which I lived for 10 years before here got bombarded and here nothing. With the exeption of one snow fall in the beginning on November (it has since melted) there has been nothing but rain and livable weather.
I like the warmer weather, I just hope it doesn't screw with the summer, or while the rest of the world is getting nice spring weather that it decides to snow here
I missed the white Christmas, but can definitely get used to living with this warmer weather again!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Global Warming..... and people say its not going to happen... i live in the northeast and i have yet to see but a small amount of snow earlier in the month. I can walk outside with a t shirt.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Stardust
No snow there either eh? Hmmm, I tend to agree with you. We really have messed with earth way too much.
I saw shifts last year too, but more subtle, this year it is an eye opener!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
I also think there was a dusting earlier in the year. No white christmas here... actually i think it rained a little bit too.... i was really sad. Ill do my part though, Ill be walking to work today :P

Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Cat_72
We've had a couple of fairly good snows here, but as of today it's all melted and the ground is mushy. More problems with fog than snow.....definitely NOT typical Iowa weather. I remember as a kid, by January we were always outside playing in big snowforts we built into the giant snowdrifts all over....but having to bundle up so thickly we could barely move. It hasn't been tshirt weather here by any means, but well above average temps for the most part. We get a few days of NORMAL December?January weather, and we all think we're going to freeze and die.....

Old 01-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
We've had a couple of fairly good snows here, but as of today it's all melted and the ground is mushy. More problems with fog than snow.....definitely NOT typical Iowa weather. I remember as a kid, by January we were always outside playing in big snowforts we built into the giant snowdrifts all over....but having to bundle up so thickly we could barely move. It hasn't been tshirt weather here by any means, but well above average temps for the most part. We get a few days of NORMAL December?January weather, and we all think we're going to freeze and die.....
Its supposed to be 60 here tomorrow.... and it was raining just a little while ago...

Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 AM   #7
ms_terese
Yes, very mild here too...they mentioned on the radio yesterday that December's average temp in our area was 8 degrees above the norm. I, too, enjoy the milder weather, but the downside is that there are still FLIES outside! In January! Can you believe it?

The in-laws were telling me that this was the mildest winter they remember in Eastern Canada.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
WebSlave
We've noted a dramatic change in the weather here in north Florida from the time we moved down here in 1991 to the present. We used to have several nights drop down even into the mid teens every winter. In the past 5 years or so, this has not happened. Matter of fact, we had one night this year where it dropped down to 22 degrees, and that has been the coldest night here for the last few years.

I would say that this is a pretty drastic change in average temperatures over such a short period of time. Maybe even seemingly accelerating. I've seen "scientific estimates of the amount of change predicted and they were always taking about decades in the future for minuscule changes. But certainly I would thing that as inaccurate as daily weather forecasters typically are, climate forecasters certainly can't be any better.

Makes you wonder what it will be like 10 years from now. Maybe mankind just pushed the Earth just a little bit too far.........

Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
We've noted a dramatic change in the weather here in north Florida from the time we moved down here in 1991 to the present. We used to have several nights drop down even into the mid teens every winter. In the past 5 years or so, this has not happened. Matter of fact, we had one night this year where it dropped down to 22 degrees, and that has been the coldest night here for the last few years.

I would say that this is a pretty drastic change in average temperatures over such a short period of time. Maybe even seemingly accelerating. I've seen "scientific estimates of the amount of change predicted and they were always taking about decades in the future for minuscule changes. But certainly I would thing that as inaccurate as daily weather forecasters typically are, climate forecasters certainly can't be any better.

Makes you wonder what it will be like 10 years from now. Maybe mankind just pushed the Earth just a little bit too far.........

Have you seen an Inconvenient Truth yet? everyone should. its seriously disturbing...

Old 01-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
ms_terese
Quote:
Have you seen an Inconvenient Truth yet? everyone should. its seriously disturbing...
I actually purchased it 2 nights ago while shopping for something else....but I haven't watched it yet. I think I'll put it on my list of things to accomplish this weekend

Makes me think of the words of George Carlin:

The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we're a threat? That somehow we're gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!

We're going away. Pack your ****, folks. We're going away. And we won't leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet'll be here and we'll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!