Help me figure out the box, and heat please! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Bella17
Help me figure out the box, and heat please!

So i am going to ship my corn snake fedex over night, priority and all that stuff, I am getting ready to set up the box right now, the snake is 4foot 5 inches, How big should the box be, and I have a link about certain heat sources to use by Clay Davenport, the 35+ and 60+ heat packs.. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out the heat pack to use for the right size box. I live in Michigan, and the snake is going to main, so it was in the 20-30's right now. Any input would be appreciated!!

Michelle

Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Bella17
Maine**

Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
izzyandickus
I need help in the same department anyone????

Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Bella17
phew! thank god you posted to, so maybe people will see the urgency of the situation lol

Michelle

Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
hhmoore
Michelle, you state you are getting ready to set the box up, but then ask how big the box should be. You have links to heat packs (Ebay - hint, hint) but no heat packs. These things seem to lessen the perceived urgency. Get your box, order some heat packs, and we'll have at it. There is no set size box, so you have to consider how much room the packaged snake will take (are you bagging it, using plastic container, or ??), how thick the styro is that you will be using, etc to come up with a minimum box size. Heat packs will depend on the box size, the insulation quality, the temperatures en route, and the species.

When are you going to ship?
*remember, shipping costs increase with box size*

Old 03-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Bella17
Sorry for stating that wrong, I meant That I am going to get the box ready, I have several available boxes from work, and will be using Clay Davenports directions on insulating a box, using 3/4inch styrofoam. So yea its not immediate, but I want to ship within the next week or two, so I wanted input as soon as possible to make sure I can have the heat packs ordered and in within that amount of time. So the sooner I can order heat packs the better. I did not want to buy heat packs until I knew what I would need. I am bagging the snake, but my question is that I dont know how much room should be allowed to let the snake sit in. Or does it matter. I don't want him to be shipped in something to small. So I suppose I just wanted an opinion on what someone else would do.

Like I said, It is a corn snake, and going from Michigan to Maine. Right now it is 24*f in Maine, and 20*s in Michigan. Im sure itll stay under 30*f for the next couple weeks.

Michelle

Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
izzyandickus
what a hard ass. i was wanting a few techniques but i guess restating the obvious was fun. anyone else want to take a shot

Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
I think you guys are over complicating this.

The hours listed on a heat pack are for how long it will last, it's not wattage like heat tape. I do not use anything less then a 40hr because you never know if a package will get held up at the airport.

For an adult cornsnake, I would use a 12x9x6 insulated shipping box.

Shipping Live Harmless Reptiles

Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
izzyandickus
thank you very much that will help!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
Bella17
Thanks Stephanie!!

Michelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!