pink belly on BRB - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
geckogrl6
pink belly on BRB

I snapped these pics t he other day. The last third or so of my BRB's belly is blushing. I'm looking for opinions on what this may be. He is on cypress mulch, and has a plastic soaking tub with a lo-temp UTH on it. I'm not sure if this is a burn from the UTH (it is on a thermostat) or possibly a skin infection. Anybody? He is due to eat and shed soon, so I will see if he is feeling OK I guess. If this is a burn, it does not look too major, and I think he will heal in a shed or two. If this is potentially something more serious, then he will have to take a trip to the vet.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Ed Clark
Alot of snakes bellies will turn pink before a shed, have a look after it sheds and report back to us.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Could he just have a pink belly? Maybe?

Coloration from pigmentation should be fairly easy to tell apart from a dermal issue that causes redness and inflamed areas. Usually the latter occurring more in spots, or areas, rather then one steady color hue, like the pictures seem to show.

An oncoming shed often does cause the belly to pinken up, but it is usually accompanied by a milkiness, due to fluid activity during the ecdysis process.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Boa4u
I don't think it is a burn or a skin infection. I have seen it from time to time on my BRB's, but even redder looking than that, and it has never seemed to bother them. I have had them since 2002, they have bred for me 3 times and are beautiful adults. If yours is anything like mine, I would not be too concerned. I can't say what causes it, but for my BRB's, it has been just a harmless coloration thing. Hope that helps, but by all means, if you continue to have doubts, get it checked out by a vet.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
waspinator421
Definetly just getting ready to shed. All of my BRBs get pink bellies when they are starting a shed cycle. Nothing to worry about.

If, however, it is still pink after he sheds, then maybe a trip to the vet is in order.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
geckogrl6
Thanks so much, everybody! I feel much better. He did eat last night, and has been sitting in his hot tub since. Is definitively VERY gray and cloudy. I will refrain this time around from asking how long he is gonna be opaque for....

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
John E Dove
Then I will not say that in general the eyes will cloud over then clear once they clear the actual shed will be within about 72 hours.

That is one beautiful Rainbow.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
geckogrl6
Update: he ate his small rat I think it was Monday night, no prob. Has been soaking in the hot tub ever since. Hasn't cleared yet...
I will not be taking him to the vet tho. Certainly not before I see a shed anyway. Thanks all from both of us for saving an unecessary 45 min trip to the vet for nothing.
PS- my pocketbook thanks you too!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!