Reaping what you sow - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Lucille
Reaping what you sow

I think on this site, and probably everywhere, one reaps what one sows. This site is home to many, from newbies to those with a lifetime of experience.
Sometimes newbies come to the BOI, not knowing what to expect, and not knowing exactly how to say what they've come to discuss.

If people visit the BOI or anywhere on this site, I've seen them treated gentle like a kitten, as they try to explain their issues from business to husbandry. I've seen people jump in with instructions and explanations about how to post pictures, and give those who are honestly trying to get a point across all kinds of help.

Sometimes there are those who see that this site is by and large a courteous place who feel they have a right to play tough guy. I suppose they think that their misbehaviors will be met with an indulgent chuckle, and they can behave pretty much as they wish.

I think there are very capable people here who can be gentle and kind. In fact, it seems to me that often the more powerful people are, the more courteous they may be, because they don't have anything to prove. There are many here who come here because they want to share the benefits of their knowledge and experience in everything from reptile keeping to business strategy. But for those who act a fool and start calling names and trying to hurt people: You think you are going to be treated gentle like a kitten? No, dawg. You live by the sword, dawg, you gonna die by the sword. (Which can still be done with courtesy).

You reap what you sow.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I think on this site, and probably everywhere, one reaps what one sows. This site is home to many, from newbies to those with a lifetime of experience.
Sometimes newbies come to the BOI, not knowing what to expect, and not knowing exactly how to say what they've come to discuss.

If people visit the BOI or anywhere on this site, I've seen them treated gentle like a kitten, as they try to explain their issues from business to husbandry. I've seen people jump in with instructions and explanations about how to post pictures, and give those who are honestly trying to get a point across all kinds of help.

Sometimes there are those who see that this site is by and large a courteous place who feel they have a right to play tough guy. I suppose they think that their misbehaviors will be met with an indulgent chuckle, and they can behave pretty much as they wish.

I think there are very capable people here who can be gentle and kind. In fact, it seems to me that often the more powerful people are, the more courteous they may be, because they don't have anything to prove. There are many here who come here because they want to share the benefits of their knowledge and experience in everything from reptile keeping to business strategy. But for those who act a fool and start calling names and trying to hurt people: You think you are going to be treated gentle like a kitten? No, dawg. You live by the sword, dawg, you gonna die by the sword. (Which can still be done with courtesy).

You reap what you sow.
Vitriol, spite, backstabbing, whispers in hidden areas, distrust, mistrust, looking past the pretty vernier to the ugliness hidden within, yes indeed, reaping is what you do when such is what you sow.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Fangthane
I start out with the best intentions. Somehow, playing nicely just doesn't seem to come so easily to me. I still manage not to see myself as a particularly aggressive person, but I'm not so sure many would agree with me. Being an official part of any 'wolf pack', is not how I perceive myself. Despite being somewhere between blunt and gruff, I believe that I at least try to be fair. Probably, not entirely successfully.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I'm glad you posted this Lucille, I understand the tempers that flare over BOI discussions, but too often I've seen first-time or relatively new posters get jumped on from so great a height that I'm sure they run screaming and never come back.

We have some great and patient contributors who never seem to tire or get sarcastic over newbie questions, and I'd like to applaud them - I vividly remember being the newbie asking the dumb questions (and still do from time to time ...), and just a few words of reassurance can make a massive difference, both to the poster and probably to the animals in their care.

Maybe we need a special award for the positive thinkers around here

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!