Coastal vs Whitewater Rosys - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
Coastal vs Whitewater Rosys

Is there a way to tell Coastal Rosys from Whitewater Rosy's? Either visually or any other way? I was sold 2 Rosys online as Coastals but I've been told neither is a Coastal and one is a Whitewater.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
Wilomn
Post pics and I'll give you MY, and I'm NO expert, opinion on them. I've had both and seen both.

These pics are of a whitewater boa that I personally found on whitewater road. I don't have any coastal pics but you might check Steve Osborne's site. I think he's breeding coastals too.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2005, 11:37 PM   #3
Stevefromsd
I can already tell the one I was told was a Whitewater is a Whitewater. They do look a lot alike though. I'll try and post some pics.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
Wilomn
Of all the desert rosies found in Ca. the whitewaters most closely resemble the coastals.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
aliceinwl
Do you know what would differentiate a whitewater from a coastal? I've got three borregos now, but I have no idea what distinguishes a borrego. I've seen a lot of pictures of the various locals and there seems to be a lot of variation, even within the same local. Is there anything concrete you can home in on?
-Alice

Old 03-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #6
rosspadilla
identification

testing 123

Old 03-06-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
rosspadilla
identification

I've seen whitewater rosys in stores,price lists,and one on that road and every one has had the coastal coleration with somewhat strait jaged lines not at all like the one that guy has a picture of that he sais he caught out there. The picture he has is what a coastal looks like with that brocken looking back stripe and some spotting inbetween the main stripes. The borregos are coastals with the reduction of the orange stripes.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #8
Wilomn
ross, what, exactly, is your experiance with rosy boas? Have you kept, bred, collected, studied them for any length of time?

"that guy" did collect that snake on that road. "that guy" has been doing this for quite a while. "that guy" is wondering just what you really know.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
pch101
If someone had asked me what subspecies Wes's Rosy is, I would have most likely guessed a Coastal from his pics. Part of the problem is very simple. Whitewater pass sits right smack in the middle of the intergrade zone between the Coastal and desert Rosies and the Rosy Boas that are found there are known to have huge variation in both color and pattern as a direct result of this. Some are dead ringers for Coastals (as witnessed in Wes's Boa), while there are others that are dead ringers for desert Rosy Boas as the other "otherguy" has seen in his experience. Still others are intermittent in appearance between the two subspecies. There is a lot of variation to that local, and that is one local that has no real distinctive look. One way to tell a true whitewater is to collect it there as Wes did.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #10
Stevefromsd
If you had to guess, does this look more like a Coastal or Whitewater?
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!