1 yr old crestie still under 10g - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
Amel-melon
Unhappy 1 yr old crestie still under 10g

Hey,
I'm kind of concerned because my crested gecko is nearly a year old (birthday Jan 11) and still isn't more than 10g. The little fella is unsexed, confirmed to have parasites, though I have since treated for that, and I'm taking them to a vet again soon, and hella skittish from being forcefed antibiotics. I'm just worried; Carto (their name) is my first ever gecko. I've been working with reptiles for years now but never a crestie. They do seem to be eating, though, so that's good.

I got them from a breeder.

Anything I should know? How big should my little fella be by this time?

Old 12-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Pasodama
Some Cresties simply grow slower than others.
However, there are things, other than genetics, that can cause slow growth as well.

You do not state under what conditions (enclosure, hides, humidity, temps, etc.) that your gecko is kept, nor what you are feeding him/her, nor if he/she appears skinny or in good physical tone/form. That information could help pinpoint a problem if there is one.
Also, what, specifically, was the antibiotics treating in your gecko?

~~~~

Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Amel-melon
@Pasodama Low 70's farenheight, misted daily at meals, plastic plants in a 40? gallon? (2ft by 2ft by 10 in). I do not know if they're skinny or not, perhaps a bit lean, but no protruding bones or anything though. Pangea diet, they are definitely eating. Alert and jumpy when held, no wobbling.

I got two, I do not have the names, they were custom dosed for weight and administered every 48 hours. one was pink and the other cloudy translucent clear.

Here's a picture of the little fella:

Old 01-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Amel-melon

Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
myfirstpetreptile
I wouldn't worry if he/she is only a pet. If you are only feeding him Pangea they grow a little slower than feeding pangea and bugs. There are also some crested geckos that just stay small. They been popping more often in breeding collections. There is a lot we still do not about crested gecko genetics.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
elena
In combination with being ill and receiving medication, a Pangea-only diet is probably responsible for your gecko's small size. There are differing opinions as to whether or not it is bad for a young gecko to grow so slowly. Some believe that it is no problem and that they will get there eventually. Personally, I prefer to feed a combined diet of CGD and bugs. Bring a fecal sample to your vet for testing, to determine if the parasites are still present. If they are not, you might consider adding insects to your gecko's diet for better growth. But the animal appears to be the appropriate weight for it's length, not emaciated.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
cornchips
I would get a second fecal for parasites just to make sure they are all gone.The parasites probably set his growth back a bit. Your crested looks pretty healthy though. Why did it need antibiotics? Just curious if it had an RI or something else or what it a preventative from the vet ( I hate that they sometime just dole out the antibiotics "just in case")

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
crested gecko, growth, small