Resuscitating A Reptile : A MUST KNOW! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
HowlinGaleDragons
Resuscitating A Reptile : A MUST KNOW!

In the years I have owned Reptiles mainly Bearded Dragons I have had two accidents involving a drowning one a dragon I found in his water bowl 5 years ago and one today that swallowed her water wrong. Both I was able to save because I educated myself in how to deal with this situation and I want to pass it on to you. I first learned how to do this in my EMT Training Classes and contacted a Reptile Vet to learn more this is how I was told to perform this.

This could save a reptiles life if something like this happens I feel this is must know for all beardie and herp lovers.

How To Resuscitate A Reptile

1. Carefully Open the reptiles mouth if it closes its mouth you can use an object such as a popsicle stick to keep the mouth open.
2. Carefully Grasp the reptiles tail base as close to the back legs as you can and **Gently** shake the reptiles side to side
3. 95% of the time this will cause the water in the reptiles lungs to drain out, this can be repeated several times.
4. Keeping mouth open place your lips over both the mouth and nose and gently give mouth to mouth, Carefully watch your reptiles sides so you do not give to much air or if you do not see the side rise and fall you will need to reposition it's head if this fails you will need to repeat step 2.
5. Continue Mouth to Mouth until the reptile gasps, or coughs if it continues to breathe on its own get it on a warm heating pad head facing down so any water still in the lungs can drain. If the reptile is not breathing on its own continue to perform Mouth to Mouth.

After a drowning you MUST keep your reptile warm to prevent a Respiratory Infection if there are any signs of one please get your reptile to the vet ASAP.

Sadly in some cases it may be too late to save the reptile But in many cases you maybe be able to save your pets life!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Tiger Lilly
That is awesome that you were able to save 2 critters! I will keep this in mind should my dragon ever have a mishap.
Thanks for posting this.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
seadooz
Do you mind if we copy and share this on our own websites?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
Anyone who has responded positively to this may want to take a step back and consider the source of this medical advice.

Then look at the details, the terrible, abysmal details.

Using a porous wooden item to open a reptile's mouth?

Putting your own mouth on a reptile?

Shaking it? Blowing into a lung with a capacity of a few CCs?

This is absolutely abominable advice. Just pure ignorance generated by a person who's not remotely close to qualified to dispense it to begin with. "95% of the time..." but she's done this, by her own admission, twice. Two points isn't even a pattern, much less significant data and she can't fail ten percent of the time on a pass/fail with only two tests. What we have here is anecdotal malarky with ridiculous conclusions being drawn that there's no factual support for.

The original post is utter garbage that should never have been written. The advice is not something anyone should ever follow. A CPR class at the Y is not a substitute for a veterinary education.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
HowlinGaleDragons
Yes you may use it on your site this is something All herp owners should now, you never know what could happen.

Ignore our friend Seamus up there this has been told to me not only in EMT training but by a certified very well know Reptile Vet who works on all of my dragons. Yes Seamus I put my mouth on my dragons and you know now what? It saved her life and I would do it again!

Oh and CPR class very wrong I am a Licensed and Certified New York State Emergency Medical Technician - Basic and am going to be getting me EMT- Intermediate License very soon which I will follow up to Paramedic Level I also work closely with not only the vet who confirmed and showed me more on this method but another Vet in FL.

I'm sorry you seem to feel knowing this could save your reptiles life is not important to you but it is to many others out there who see their beloved pet as not only a pet but their Kids and family.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinGaleDragons View Post
this has been told to me not only in EMT training
Your EMT training covered reptile physiology? My my, they have gotten comprehensive, haven't they?

Quote:
but by a certified very well know Reptile Vet who works on all of my dragons.
Your vet told you to jam a popcicle stick in it's mouth, shake it and blow into it? Not a word about speculas, not any discussion about the shape and angle of the air and food passages which can vary dramatically by species, no comments about lung capacity, lodged objects or the potential damage your inane manhandling could do?

My bet is that you grossly misunderstood what you were told. Or that your vet was just paying you lip service, as professionals in any field are inclined to do from time to time when confronted by nonsensical ramblings issuing from a paying customer. Or your vet is completely and utterly incompetent. Take your pick of the three- but under no circumstances did a competent vet tell you what you have relayed here.

Your ignorance and your negligent attitude towards the responsibilities involved with educating the public in a complete and thorough manner are going to get someone's reptile injured, dead or sick.

Quote:
I'm sorry you seem to feel knowing this could save your reptiles life is not important to you but it is to many others out there who see their beloved pet as not only a pet but their Kids and family.
Anthropomorphism is a terrible defense against making negligent and ignorant suggestions of a veterinary nature.

Just a reprehensible attitude on all counts.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post

The original post is utter garbage that should never have been written. The advice is not something anyone should ever follow.
Any advice that could help save the life of a dying animal of any type is good advice.

The alternative would be standing there watching a beloved pet die doing nothing at all.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
Any advice that could help save the life of a dying animal of any type is good advice.

The alternative would be standing there watching a beloved pet die doing nothing at all.
And that right there is the caliber of person who agrees with HowlinGale.

As I said... people should consider the source and, in this case, reject the "information" as being devoid of credibility.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
HowlinGaleDragons
Me ignorant? You are the most ignorant, Uncaring, and Rude person I have met to date Please stop posting on this thread this has nothing to do with you we all now can see you do not care about the welfare of reptiles thank you for showing your colors. And my vet is far from uneducated she is a great vet and would never lie or tell anyone something that is incorrect Please take your mindless whining and harassing else where.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
And that right there is the caliber of person who agrees with HowlinGale.

As I said... people should consider the source and, in this case, reject the "information" as being devoid of credibility.
I do agree because it can possibly save a life, and it has.

Seamus...sometimes I don't think you make any sense at all, you seem to argue your point for the sake of .....what?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!