And you all wonder why I have to make the restrictions I do... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
WebSlave
And you all wonder why I have to make the restrictions I do...

Usually just obvious pettiness from some members. I've had members in the past get their panties in a wad over something and then in apparent spite, go through their posts and delete or edit out as much as they can to apparently "get even". So, of course, I have had to restrict this ability to try and limit such damage people with this sort of personality disorder will try to inflict. But apparently even those restrictions then in place were not enough of a safeguard.

Why else would someone go into their posts and remove photographs to make their posts useless?

Here's some perfect examples of what I am talking about:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=99028

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=98205

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=99204

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=99080

Bobby Hill (varnyard) is just the latest in the list of members to pull a stunt like this....

Prior to that, we have these examples from Sara Gatto (clarinet45) where the complete text was edited out of the posts:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...638#post465638

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...265#post464265

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...926#post463926

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...826#post460826

So what do I do? Cut out deleting and editing altogether in order to keep such people from flaunting their pettiness? In order to prevent this, then people posting classifieds will then lose the capability of deleting or editing their classified ads.

So do I just ignore this sort of behavior and allow it to stand as a display of a member's own personality quirks, or do I make everyone suffer trying to prevent them from this sort of abuse?

Fortunately Bobby stepped down from being a moderator and was removed from that position before he could inflict even more damage in the forum he was a moderator of.

So, any questions about why I have to make the rules and restrictions that I do around here?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
jsrocket
Rich, I for one never wondered why you made the decisions you did; just was thankful I wasn't in your position.

Anyhow, I've noticed that the signature lines for us freebies no longer appear on our posts, but they do appear on our member profiles, and there's no way to edit them.

It's no biggie, and I'm not complaining. Just wondering what's up?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
I say Ignore it. they are just pictures on old posts.
My photos that are on the BOI for saras thread are only hosted on Photobucket. and i plan on going through my photo bucket and getting rid of photos/ stuff i no longer want on it. So. Dunno what would happen there, but those pictures WILL dissapear when i do this.( i like NOT having to go through pages upon pages of pictures to find ONE i want to use) same for old posts ive made... Id be happy to upload them here and you can relink them for me, but i personally, dont want to do it. So. i dont know.

But again, that would bring up, should you allow linking to other sites, or just fauna.net hosting so that pictures will not be randomly removed. that would take up more space on your severs though, and probably wouldnt be something youd want to do. So again, thats why i say ignore it.

You were upset that bobby and sara edited posts/removed pictures, but bobby made a post saying good bye and there was NO drama in it, and did not MEAN harm. but yet now when i look. it is gone. and all the responses that were in it. *shrugs* im not trying to step on your toes here... its your own site, do what you want. but why did that post dissapear?

Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Griz
I hope you PM'd Bobby first before making this post. It would appear, given Bobby's reputation, that a little bit of due dilligence might have eliminated any questions as to one's motives. I'm an not agreeing or disagreeing one way or another. But, it's not like Bobby to have done this with the sole intent of being a thorn in your side. Just a thought.

Griz

Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
jsrocket
Well, if I have useless trash laying around my house, I throw it away. This is not a statement about my guests, it's just a matter of fact thing I do.

If someone intentionally or unintentionally renders a post useless, with editing, or busted links, I see no problem with taking out the trash.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
hhmoore
Not saying this is the case, as it likely isn't, but there are a few reasons that one might delete attachments. A legitimate reason is that, depending on the membership level, members are capped at a certain amount of attachment storage...and it has been suggested (even by you, I believe) in the past that an option is to remove old photos to free up space. Yes, I realize that people could post their photos in the photo gallery and link to them, but even that has caused problems in the past. I couldn't even say how easy or difficult that is, since I have never used the function. Heck, I deleted a few attachments a while back - I don't recall my rationale at the time...but it certainly was nothing malicious. It may well have been because I thought I was being helpful and reducing the server load - I really don't recall (frankly, I'm not 100% sure I did it, but I have a clouded memory of doing so...I think I was operating in one of my sleepless hazes at the time. could've been a dream )

Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
hhmoore
I also know that, without thinking, I have deleted pictures from my photobucket storage. This has resulted in both missing images & a replacement pic popping up in the post (after which, I changed the file name so it disappeared). Of course, I didn't do any of the above after any type of conflict here, nor did I move on to greener pastures.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz
I hope you PM'd Bobby first before making this post. It would appear, given Bobby's reputation, that a little bit of due dilligence might have eliminated any questions as to one's motives. I'm an not agreeing or disagreeing one way or another. But, it's not like Bobby to have done this with the sole intent of being a thorn in your side. Just a thought.

Griz
I disagree. Bobby knew exactly what he was doing. Did you see what he did with his signature before Rich deleted it? Bobby made quite clear that he was picking up his marbles and going to play elsewhere.

And Harald, the attachment thing is only an issue if one wants to upload more attachments. Since Bobby is not currently posting here that seems not to be an issue. When my paid membership temporarily lapsed I was not allowed to upload more attachments because I was over the limit, but none of the existing ones were deleted.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
hhmoore
I realize that, Jim - and acknowledged that it wasn't the case in this instance - I was just pointing out there were legitimate reasons for one to delete photos.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
garweft
After some of my posts have had their run and fallen dead I have deleted the posted images off of my photobucket account. I never thought twice about it since most likely the post won't really be looked at again by a good number of people.

I can see where this would cause problems on the BOI however.

One question, is there a way to block the use of HTML tags? I would think that this can't be done as it would cause other problems, but I don't know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread