Red Eyed Tree Frog Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Shumakerrrrr
Red Eyed Tree Frog Question

I recently purchased 2 red eyed tree frogs (1 male 1 female) from a website. The female seems to be doing fine, but the male seems to be lethargic, he spent most of the day sleeping, and is now resting on the ground of the tank (which is of course covered by substrate). I found the female in the water dish so is it possible that there is not enough humidity in the tank? Or maybe it is too hot? He was a vibrant green color earlier but now he seems to be spotty, a dark leafy green in some areas and they both have some white spots on their backs about the size of a period (.) maybe double the size in some cases. Please help me, I don't want to kill my frogs, if thats the direction they are headed in. (The temp is currently 80 and humidity 53%)

Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Shumakerrrrr
bump!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Keith N
They should spend most of the day sleeping as they are nocturnal. Nightime is action time in their tank. we have 4 in one tank with two males in there. Its a chorus call as soon as the timer turnes the light off. I have kept them for some time. The humidity is a little low, I usually keep mine about 75% or so. This can be done by putting plexiglass on the top of the tank and keep moving it until it gets around the target humidity. Usually misting once or twice a day will do the trick too. I can send you some tank pics if you need one. PM me if you have anymore questions.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
fishnfool73
Them being on the ground during the day is a bad sign. Do some research online about the diseases they can get. My girlfriend has one that she has had for 2 years now. It has some white spots on its back also. Make sure you are misting with distilled or spring water and not tap water.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Keith N
I agree with fish on the bad sign. Two rules to know there is a problem. Frogs not the air usually on the side of the glass as high as they can and on the ground especially awake during the day. Something is major wrong they don't like

Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Shumakerrrrr
At night they were on the ground but I'm thinking maybe its because there is not enough humidity. Or the crickets i fed them were on the ground as well. But it was only at night when they were on the ground, otherwise they were in the cover of the wood and plants. When i left for work they were on the glass.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Keith N
Thats good then. Then the humidity is still an issue which the plexiglass should hold it in more. The male should be calling at night too. If you cant get to the hardware store right away then cut some cardboard and put it on top to hold in humidity too. Sounds like your doing everything right. Were they wildcaught or captive born?

Old 11-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
fishnfool73
If they are on the ground at night that is good as that is when adn how they hunt. As pointed out during the daytime they should be up on the glass or perched somewhere sleeping. The humidity has nothing to do with them being on the ground to my knowledge. My girlfriend and I set up her tank with a rock base and some filter and moss on top of that and made a little pool at one side of the tank. A filter buried under the ''land'' side creates water flow to keep the pool water from getting stagnant and the moss absorbs the water through the filter and thus keep the humitidy high in the tank. We spray the from at night right before we turn off the UV light and she has done great. It is the biggest red eye any one that has seen her has ever seen. Another issue would be to avoid putting to many crickets in the tank as any they don't eat will stresss them out during the day time. Best of luck with them.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
Shumakerrrrr
captive born, i didnt hear the male calling at night, does this mean he is stressed?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
Shumakerrrrr
the female really had no trouble right off the bat she was hunting and moving around the male however was sleeping on the floor even at night but its probably because i disturbed them so many times during the day (initially putting them into the tank, transport, taking them out, putting them back in, etc.) let me know

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!