Bands you didn't know existed... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
AK907
Bands you didn't know existed...

Anyone a fan of a local or underground band? There are tons of bands out there with real talent who will never be heard because they aren't what the media deems "radio friendly" for whatever reason. If you have a band that deserves to be heard, please post it with a short description of what they play.

For instance...

Turbid North. I grew up with these guys in North Pole, AK and even opened for them a couple times back in the day. They are considered Alaska's premiere metal act, although they now reside in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area and have picked up some new members, Brian McCoy from Debri and Chris O'Toole from England. They originally had a strong Pantera influence, but have changed thier musical direction significantly, often leaning toward darker influences such as black metal, sludge and even a little bit of psychedelic. Listen to "The Hunter", the solo is phenomenal! Nick really nailed it on that one. Last time I talked with Adam (Rydlinski), they have been talking with Relapse Records, which would be great. They have earned it, if you ask me. They've worked VERY hard for it.

Opeth. Another amazing band you won't see on MTV or on any radio station. Very progressive, very original and very diversified. They can be loosely classified as a metal band from Sweden with jazz influences. They are one of the few bands who can go from a winding, melodic riff into all out death metal to a melodic clean riff and then break out into a jazz influences solo that has much emotion as David Gilmour and not seem the least bit awkward transitioning. Truly an amazing band and every album is unique.

Necrophagist. One for the hardcore metal fans. These guys are insane! Pure, rip your face off, technical death metal from Germany. No real frills here. Its fast and brutal. Mohammed Sucimez is just downright scary. I don't even know how to describe his style, but he has great feeling for a death metal guitarist and knows his way around the harmonic minor and diminished scale. Great listen if you're into bands like Cannibal Corpse or Death.

Dream Theater. This is why you don't give nerds instruments. These guys studied music at Berkley and they excel in it. More of a progressive hard rock/power metal act. Not a weak link in the band, but James LeBrie's vocals take a bit of getting used to, but he can belt it for sure. One listen to the epic, 24 minute song, "A Change Of Seasons" and you can see how truly talented these guys are.

Between The Buried And Me. Might not count because they've gotten some decent media attention, but they are ridiculous! I can't make sense of these guys. They are the definition of why its call music "theory". Metal for sure, but what the heck is up with that random pirate sea shanty? Weird bunch of guys.

Anywho, what are some worthwhile bands to listen to in your opinion? Something you won't really hear on the radio. I don't want mainsteam. I want REAL music. It doesn't matter the genre. Please share.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
heathacat
Lol you should try out some Dystopia, Pig Destroyer, and Phobia for some badass underground.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
AK907
I've heard of Pig Destroyer. I'll check out the others for sure! Anyone else have any local/underground bands that they would like to share with us or are yall just gunna continue lurking?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
Utta
Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Belphegor, Six Feet Under, Napalm Death, Vader, Immortal, Gorgoroth, Amon Amarth, Ajattara, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Burzum, Satyricon, Hypocrisy, Kataclysm, Kalmah, Legion of Damned, Goatmill.

There ya go

Old 10-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
heathacat
Were you looking through my mp3 player?? lol awesome list!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
Utta
Is it an ipod? :P

Old 10-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
heathacat
Heck no. Sansa Clip Plus. .flac ftw.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
Utta
Then maybe >_>.

Also, psyclon nine = awesome.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
heathacat
*listening now* I like so far!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 AM   #10
Utta
To psyclon nine? favorite song of mine is "as one with the flies" but its their only one like it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!