Leopard gecko market - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
ColonizedFeeders
Leopard gecko market

I'm thinking of joining the leopard gecko market, possibly buying a few hundred dollar worth of leopard geckos at the next reptile show but i have heard that the market is very. How do I say this. Saturated? Over populated? My question is that would it be too difficult to sell the babies once I'm breeding them? I'm asking not really because I'm in for the money but I love producing animals and I'd hate to abandon a gecko project just because it's too difficult to sell the babies. Thanks

Old 10-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
THORGECKO
It isn't difficult to sell them, they are just very cheaply priced right now. Supply and demand. Supply is super high and demand is super low.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Kristi23
There are tons of people who will flood the market with low quality animals and unknown genetics. It makes it harder for real breeders to sell as many animals, but they will still sell to other breeders looking for quality. If you decide to get into it, do your research and buy good quality animals. It's hard to stay around for long unless you do it the right way in the beginning.

Prices will vary on things like quality/color, genetics, and also who the breeder is. I try to price in the mid range since I've only been around for 7 years and can't get the prices the big breeders get yet. But I still buy from them to make sure I'm producing quality babies.

There are times when sales are slower and times where I will sell a lot more. The market really goes up and down a lot. It seemed like it was flooded a few years ago, but I'm seeing quite a few people getting out now.

Make a name for yourself and you shouldn't have issues selling, but also be prepared to keep babies for awhile when sales are slow. Don't price too low because that doesn't help others around you. Try to be competitive, but know that it will take years before you can start charging the higher amounts that some breeders charge.

Hope that answers your question and good luck!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
Blazin
Take some advice. Keep it fun and don't try to turn it into a business. Been there done that.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
snowgyre
I would honestly start small, purchase the highest quality animals you can off the bat, and keep your production low for the first couple of years. That way you can build up your customer base and reputation and not have to worry about running out of rack space.

I bred leopard geckos for years but got out of them because I was having trouble selling offspring. Ironically, I now breed ball pythons and I'm having the same exact issue now. Seems like I always jump into a species right as the market bubble bursts. Thankfully I do this for fun and I've got a steady job, so I really don't care if I lose money on my hobby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!