Watch Out For Spiders In Your Crickets - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
Rebel Dragons
OMG, I am so happy that brown recluse don't live in Pa.

Although I did live in Florida for 13 years and I have seen thousands of those orb spiders with the lightning bolts on their backs. We called them banana spiders cause they always had their webs in the banana trees. When I was younger and not as afraid as I am now, we used to catch moths and grasshoppers and have someone throw them into the webs and watch the spiders mummify them. Of course I never got closer than 5 feet cause I know deep down in my gut those suckers can jump!!!! And yes 5 feet distance was when I was not afraid. Lol

Old 04-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
SSReptiles
lol webslave. You see, I'm cool with photos, and they are in cages, but out in the open....noooooo, I'll just avoid that area like the plague.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #13
reptilebreeder
How are we suppose to convince non-reptile lovers that reptiles are cool, non slimey, make great pets, etc. and that their fear of snakes is irrational, when we have a bunch of sissies in our midsts

Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #14
Rebel Dragons
Awwwww

I can live with sissy comments when it comes to spiders.

But other than spiders thems fightin words.............

Old 04-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
Justin Mitcham
I just read Wes's "contribution" many thanks bud.. now I know what that funny taste is when I wake up sometimes...
7 whole spiders...in my mouth ...no way that is not cool...where's the duct tape!!!!!

Old 04-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #16
David Reid
Two comments...

If I am not mistaken, the Brown Recluse lives in ALL of the States. They like the warm south, but get transported to ALL of the States in moving vans, etc.
I had two of them in my pool filter a few days ago here in Southern California.

I think the originator of this thread was very confrontational in the emails, and should not have been surprised to get the comments he did, back. I am surprised the replies were not harsher, based on his emails.

Dave

Old 04-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #17
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reid
If I am not mistaken, the Brown Recluse lives in ALL of the States. They like the warm south, but get transported to ALL of the States in moving vans, etc.
I had two of them in my pool filter a few days ago here in Southern California.
Maybe it was a different recluse? Seems the range is more in the midwest. Here's the "alleged" range of the Brown Recluse and related spiders, from the University of Florida (http://okaloosa.ifas.ufl.edu/Horticu..._challenge.htm):
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #18
David Reid
Very cool map!

From what I have heard, the Brown Recluse has a "natural" range, and then a new range, from unnatural transportation. My understanding is they have been seen in every state, usually indoors. These sightings have been attributed to moving/people relocating from a Recluse area, to a non Recluse area and taking them with them in "junk from the garage", clothes that they have not worn in a long time, etc. The picture in an earlier post of the Brown Recluse was exactly what I pulled out of my filter, so they are definately here, if that was indeed a picture of a Brown Recluse. I will check out the filter basket again today, and see what I find

Old 04-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #19
David Reid
Oh, and now for my "spider" story...

I lived in Olympia, WA for about 8 yrs. When I catch a cold, it usually, if not always progresses the same way. Aching head, hard to get my equalibrium, fever, cold sweat, etc. It usually lasted for 4-8 days, never less. Luckily, I only really got sick about once every 2 or 3 yrs. WELL, I wake up, and feel sick, first day of the cold. I call in sick to work, tell em not to expect me the next day either, and go to bed. I sleep all day, about 1 in the morning, I feel a tingle on my back, think I was dreaming, and go back to sleep. About an hour later, I wake up and feel like I have a fat lip, you know, like I got a shot of novacaine. So I go in the bathroom and look at my lip, does not look really big, just FEELs big, and tingles/knumb. So I remember my back, and look at it, and see a red welt about 3 inches in diameter, look inside my lip, and see a couple of red spots. My girlfriend walks in (now my wife and we sumize the following: spider bites me on the back, then crawls onto my face, I breathe in, and it shoots into my mouth, bites my lip, and I swallow it NOW, for the cool part, I feel great, no fever, no coughing, no headache, I feel great. Went to work the next day. So, could the spider venom have helped my cold or what? Like I said, I am NEVER just sick for one day, and at 1 when I woke up, I was still sick. Anyway, lame story but true...

Old 04-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #20
Rebel Dragons
Words can't describe what I would do if I felt anything crawling on me in my bed. I would wake the city with my screams. My spider web dance is bad enough, I can just imagine what I would look like thinking I had a spider on me in the middle of the night. I am not ashamed to admit it. I would probably pee myself and then passout.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!