What is most important when purchasing from a reptile store? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

View Poll Results: What is the most important thing you look for when purchasing from a reptile store?
Cleanliness 38 41.30%
Conveniant Location 0 0%
Size of Store 0 0%
Customer Service 4 4.35%
Knowledgable Staff 36 39.13%
Variety of Reptiles 5 5.43%
Large Selection of Supplies 3 3.26%
Large Selection of Turtles and Tortoises 0 0%
Large Selection of Snakes 5 5.43%
Large Selection of Lizards 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2003, 02:52 PM   #1
Tony
Stop! What is most important when purchasing from a reptile store?

I am curious to see what people look for in a reptile store. Post your opinions on what you expect to see in one. Thanks.

Tony Alles
www.reptileguru.com

Old 03-04-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Darin Chappell
Tony,

I appreciate your interest in everyone's insight on this issue, but I think this post is somewhat misplaced. It really belongs on the General Business forum rather than here on the BOI. Perhaps you might email the WebSlave (Rich Z.) and ask him to move it?

Old 03-04-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Seamus Haley
My personal opinion on the matter is the knowledgeable staff come first and foremost in the structure of what I see as important and I feel the remainder tend to be a result of that knowledge.

While I trust my own ability to determine the general well being of an animal and rarely rely on the determination of those I am purchasing from... Knowledgeable staff will be able to give me background information in the manner I want it when considering a purchase... I don't ask "Does it bite?" or "Whats it called again?" questions... I do however ask where they obtained it, how long they have had it, what it has eaten how many times, if it has been medicated (for anything likely to be WC) and with what... All questions that can't be answered by somebody who wouldn't know what to make of the answers if they had them.

I also tend to trust the care the animal has had when in the store if I trust the sales staff to know the proper environmental conditions and diet.

Add in the fact that decent staff will usually encourage the development of the other factors... better selection of animals of all types, better animal health, better records and information, cleaner store and more reasonable prices (for retail)... and the individuals working become invaluable to the proper operation of a retail establishment.

I also might have a different deffinition of "clean" though... if the animal enclosures are clean, the aisles can be navigated without a problem and the shelves are neatly stocked and properly priced so I can find what I need... I don't care about the armpit stains on the clerk's GG Allin T-Shirt or the burger king wrappers on the desk in the office... That isn't to say I don't appreciate it when they learn the meaning of the word "deoderant" and I do feel more comfortable shopping when not worrying about mayo stains from the staff's lunch but... I tend to make my determination based off the staff's words and actions, the animals health and cleanliness of the important matters than a bit of dust in the corner... WalMarts are usually immaculate, I would eat off the floor or allow surgery to be performed on me in their bathrooms... But there's no way I would ever BUY anything from them...

Old 03-04-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
BrianB
I suspect this will be moved to GBD, but here goes..

Clean, knowledgable staff, and friendly attitude. Honesty about all aspects of their animals, including history, husbandry, and most importantly in helping someone determine if the animal is a suitable pet that will meet their ability, knowledge and desires.

Classic line. I'm in a store (GVS), holding an adult male surinam boa, and the sales guy is talking to a customer, who says, "I think we'll take a corn snake." =)

The customers had been through EVERY snake that wasn't a giant constrictor with the sales person, and was given the pros and cons of each. They were given plenty of info to help narrow down their selection, including housing and husbandry requirements, general temperment, etc. They were shown juvies and adults of most of the animals. Good info was given, and more importantly, the customer was interviewed to help determine what snake would be a good fit, not which would make the store the most money. Of course, over the long haul, that corn probably WILL make the store the most money, because it was the best choice at the time and would be positive introduction to snake keeping.

Stores that are good examples:

East Bay Viviarium, Berkley, CA
Great Valley Serpentarium, Lodi, CA
Pro Exotics, Littleton, CO

I'm sure there are more, but look at what these stores are doing, and you've got a good example of how to run a herp store.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
Dianne Johnson
I think the knowledgable staff is a must and the rest will basically follow. If the staff is knowledgable, the proper care will be given to the animals (including clean enclosures) and proper information will be given to customers. Also, from my experience, a knowledgable staff usually results in more selection and better quality overall of animals and equipment.

Just my .02
Dianne

Old 03-04-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
BrianB
I largely agree that knowledge comes first, but I don't think that good customer service necessarily follows. The right attitude is also important. I've been lied to by knowledgable store staff before, for the sake of making a sale.

It's when integrity and knowledge meet up that I'm most happy.

Old 03-04-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
SPJ
I went into a local store (Slither and Swim) that specializes in reptiles and asked about a dumerils boa they had. What an experience.

Me - Is the dumeril male or female?

Saleslady - I don't know?

Me - What is it eating and how often?

Saleslady - Not sure, can you call later today when the other guys come in?

Me - Can I see the boa?

Saleslady - I don't do snakes so I'm not taking it out?

Me - Never mind.

I left without buying anything. The sad part is I had the cash in my wallet to get the boa and I purposely went there looking to pick up a new snake. The store was presentable and the tanks were clean and the snakes appeared healthy but come one now. How many sales do they lose each day that are directly related to this lady? I would not be surprised if their business doubled if she was replaced. They had the cleanliness down but the staff's help and knowledge was terrible.

Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 PM   #8
Pennebaker
I cant just pick one!!!!
Too many of those things are crucial and too important to just choose one.

Cleanliness, customer service, knowledgeable staff, and selection would be most important to me personally. Although, for a store owner I'm sure convenient location would help sales a lot. For me, I'd drive a good ways out of my way to check out reptiles : )

Dana

Old 03-05-2003, 12:29 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
IF I were buying a reptile from that pet store, then a knowledgable staff would be the most important thing.

However for me personally, a large selection of supplies is the only thing I consider when going to a pet store, because this is the only use I have for them, and that's not very often.

I haven't purchased a reptile from a pet store in over a decade, and I can't envision a circumstance occuring which would ever cause me to again.

Old 03-05-2003, 09:16 AM   #10
sschind
Steve,

I understand your frustration, and I can see your point. Howeve, while I do think it is important to have employees trained in all areas, in some instances that is simply a luxury that some stores can not afford. It is difficult to find people that are very knowledgable in tropical fish & reptiles & small animals etc. The lady in question could be the most knowledgeable fish person around and that alone is worth keeping her employed. Ideally employers would be able to staff their stores with experts in every are but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I do think she could have handled the case a little differently, and I do think that every employee should be, at the very least, able to get by in all areas (saying "I don't do snakes" is not acceptable, but admitting you are not the most knowledgable reptile person is)

Of course, the particulars of each animal should be listed so she could at least answer some of the simple questions. Sometimes that is the fault of the owner (my hand is up) and not the employee however. I would bet that if a few of your questions had been answered you would have been more than happy to come back to talk to someone more knowlegable

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!