Feeding Rats vs Rabbits? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-23-2003, 12:44 AM   #1
dself40
Feeding Rats vs Rabbits?

I am looking for some imput on feeding Rabbits vs Rats?What do ya"ll think is better for the snake?I already breed my own mice and rats and if I knew Rabbits would be better for the snakes I would be willing to start raising rabbits also.Man what we will do for our snakes..lol

Thanks,

Old 11-23-2003, 07:23 AM   #2
Fran
Feeding rats vs rabbits

I breed all three. ( Rabbits, rats, and mice ) I myself prefer to move my snakes up in prey size as they grow. As soon as my boids are big enough I switch them over to rabbit. Even for human consumption rabbit meat is one of the the top meats for protein without the fat and chloresterol.

Fran Dennison
the_snake_shack

Old 11-23-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
dself40
Fran,

Thanks for the help and the info.Looks like I am going to start breeding my own Rabbits also.But do you think it helps to switch them over to Rabbit pinks? or wait till they can eat say a small rabbit ?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2003, 10:22 AM   #4
Fran
Dusty

I wouldn't swith them to rabbit pinkies. The rabbits don't really have any amount of nutritional value until they have been nursing awhile. As a rule of thumb I don't switch them until they can easily handle say a three week old rabbit.

Fran Dennison
The Snake Shack

Old 11-23-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
dself40
Fran,

Ok thanks for the info that was my main question if it would be better to swtich them to rabbit pinks instead of them eating rat pinks or pups.About how big is a three week old rabbit?I have alot of bigger snakes that are eating large to jumbo rats .

Thanks for your time and help,

Old 11-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
Tacticalmaniac
rats or rabbits

I feed rats to my snakes until they are eating large rats, then I switch them over to rabbits. It was initially a prey size vs quantity of prey items for me. It takes me less time to feed my bigger snakes 1 large rabbit than it takes to feed them 4 or 5 large rats. It also puts less of a dent in my rat supply, 2 of my big girls could wipe me out in a couple feedings. Also I have found I can get rabbits alot cheaper at the local auctions, I pick up small rabbits (2 lbs or so) for a dollar or 2 if I get them 10 at a time. So it benifits me in the areas of time, nutritional value for my animals, rat supply on hand and financially.
Just my personal experience .... good luck.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #7
Fran
Dusty

A three week old new zealand rabbit would be about the equivalant of a jumbo rat where a three week old mini-rex would be the equivalant of a large rat.

Fran Dennison
The Snake Shack

Old 11-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
dself40
Thanks a bunch folks..

Sounds like I will be getting into the rabbit breeding .lol..And thanks for all the help and input on this subject.these forums do work Rich..lol..Thanks to Rich.

Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!