Packaging for multiple snake shipments - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
hhmoore
Packaging for multiple snake shipments

In a recent discussion on this site, the topic of packaging multiple snakes together in one bag was widely criticized. I feel that the subject has two opposing views - the problem being that, in many cases, they see it as a black and white thing: We're right, they're wrong. I avoided comment in the thread, so as not to distract from the issues at hand....but the more that was said, the more it ate at me. SOOOOO, I'm bringing the discussion here.
*For the purpose of this thread, packaging separately means in different bags or containers - NOT putting them in a different shipping box.

I have received multiple animals shipped this way over the years....and, as long as the animals are healthy, of comparable size, and of the same species, it isn't really that big a deal, IMO. Now, obviously, there are exceptions to that; but I don't think it is something that is automatically BAD.

Example - earlier this year, I shipped out a quantity of boas, ball pythons, and bullsnakes to one buyer. All of those snakes were produced by me. I packaged the bulls together, the balls together, and divided the (15) boas into 3 bags. So what? All the animals were healthy, and the snakes packaged together were of the same species and comparably sized. (I'm pretty sure they were all littermates, but the ball pythons might have been from separate clutches - I don't remember now, and I'm not going back to look.) Healthy in, healthy out, and no complaints from the buyer.

Regarding the exceptions - if any of the animals are unhealthy, or has a known issue, they should be separate. (ie - a snake with a chronic wheeze should not be placed in the same bag with others; a snake with loose stool, or other signs of parasites should also be separate. YES, I KNOW, there are strong arguments that those animals shouldn't be shipped in the first place...I'm not disputing that. This really is just common sense stuff.) Imported, wild caught, and farmed snakes should not be in the same bag as US CBB. If there is a notable size disparity - one should consider separate packaging. Quantity is also a factor...if I am purchasing 2 snakes, I'd probably expect them to be packaged separately. Where is the line drawn - I don't know. I've offered customers an option, under certain circumstances...say a snake is added to an order, making a larger box - and an increased shipping cost - necessary; I've offered that bagging them together would allow the original box size, and not change the shipping amount. I'm sure more could easily be added, but I think I've made my point.

Thoughts, experiences, and relevant comments are welcome.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
In a recent discussion on this site, the topic of packaging multiple snakes together in one bag was widely criticized. I feel that the subject has two opposing views - the problem being that, in many cases, they see it as a black and white thing: We're right, they're wrong. I avoided comment in the thread, so as not to distract from the issues at hand....but the more that was said, the more it ate at me. SOOOOO, I'm bringing the discussion here.
*For the purpose of this thread, packaging separately means in different bags or containers - NOT putting them in a different shipping box.

I have received multiple animals shipped this way over the years....and, as long as the animals are healthy, of comparable size, and of the same species, it isn't really that big a deal, IMO. Now, obviously, there are exceptions to that; but I don't think it is something that is automatically BAD.

Example - earlier this year, I shipped out a quantity of boas, ball pythons, and bullsnakes to one buyer. All of those snakes were produced by me. I packaged the bulls together, the balls together, and divided the (15) boas into 3 bags. So what? All the animals were healthy, and the snakes packaged together were of the same species and comparably sized. (I'm pretty sure they were all littermates, but the ball pythons might have been from separate clutches - I don't remember now, and I'm not going back to look.) Healthy in, healthy out, and no complaints from the buyer.

Regarding the exceptions - if any of the animals are unhealthy, or has a known issue, they should be separate. (ie - a snake with a chronic wheeze should not be placed in the same bag with others; a snake with loose stool, or other signs of parasites should also be separate. YES, I KNOW, there are strong arguments that those animals shouldn't be shipped in the first place...I'm not disputing that. This really is just common sense stuff.) Imported, wild caught, and farmed snakes should not be in the same bag as US CBB. If there is a notable size disparity - one should consider separate packaging. Quantity is also a factor...if I am purchasing 2 snakes, I'd probably expect them to be packaged separately. Where is the line drawn - I don't know. I've offered customers an option, under certain circumstances...say a snake is added to an order, making a larger box - and an increased shipping cost - necessary; I've offered that bagging them together would allow the original box size, and not change the shipping amount. I'm sure more could easily be added, but I think I've made my point.

Thoughts, experiences, and relevant comments are welcome.
Harald I have to agree with you. I also refrained from commenting on it as well. I have received multiple shipments over the years packaged the same way. Granted it has always been larger quantities of hatchlings or litters.

Never a issue and mine were packaged well.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
bear
In my opinion, it depends on the situation. If I am buying some c/b morph boas, I would hope they are not crammed in the same bag. If I am buying a 100 lot of ch balls... clearly a different situation.

I think, more so then it being detrimental to the snakes health, it says something about the care taken with the animals.

I just sent 5k out for 4 boas and if they arrive in one sack, I may be a bit put off... Call me crazy, but thats just me.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
I've heard of this plenty of times and I have received multiple cb corn babies in one bag before, also received some corns that were 2 per deli cup. And there's those ads for CH BPs 10 per bag all the time, seems like it's pretty common, especially for WC stuff. It's not something I would do but I never thought it was that big of a deal.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Firebill
If you did ship a sick snake (which you should not do) that had whatever and also a healthy snake in separate bags but in the same box either side by side or one on top of the other. Would there not be a chance that the healthy snake could still get sick?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Focal
I also agree, however, I would separate if they all appeared the same, by sex (especially under sized females) or if certain ones were het. Anything that might save the receiver some hassles from figuring it out, but other than that I don't see a problem. I've never had to do it so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it

Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
paulWTAMU
There's times I'd be cheesed. Like if I got an animal that was PH/Het for some traits, and an animal that was PH/het for other traits, I'd be pissed if they were in the same bag cause well, I wouldn't know which was which. But assuming same species and size, and healthy, and that my example isn't the case...eh, who cares so much?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
TriangleReptiles
I have received 4 western hognose hatchlings in 1 6" deli-cup from a very reputable breeder. I had no problem with it....they were litter mates, 2 male and 2 female, all possible hets. There was no confusion and no problems. When I ship, they are always in seperate containers with appropriate labels and histories. I don't have a problem either way, as long as they are healthy and as advertised.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!