Taiwan beauties - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
akaangela
Taiwan beauties

I got two taiwan beauties for my roommate for his birthday last year. Now I prefer ball pythons. Anyway. Theses two snakes are so ill tempered I hate to try and handle them. They bite any time I put my hand it the cage and they are as fast as lighting. Since I do most of the feeding do you have any suggestions to get them to be less mean when I put my hand in the tanks? It is a good thing I really really love my roommate as I have had it up to my eyes with these..... snakes. I must also say their growth rate has been astonishing. I don't think I have ever seen a snake grow so fast. They are also very beautiful (I think that is their only positive thing they have) I must also admit they are pigs. They will eat almost ANYTHING.

Help please. I would like to like these snakes but I am on the verge of telling my roommate they HAVE to go.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Blue Gorgon
Beauties who haven't been regularly handled can be really temperamental, I usually advise people to get them used to handling when young so they don't get that way when older. It sounds like these guys aren't full grown yet, and they're just scared and nervous. These snakes have an ill-deserved reputation as nippy because they need a lot of attention when they're young.

If you have some gloves and/or a hook, I'd take some time to handle them on a regular basis and get them used to it. With time and patience, they should calm down and can be sweet lovely snakes. My female blue is an absolute angel and I can even wear her around the house. They'll always be active and energetic, but they don't have to be nippy. Take things slow and hopefully before long they'll settle down.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
akaangela
Thanks I have a feeding question for you. I try and feed them every week, but my roommate thinks they should be only fed 2-3 x's per month. When I do they eat 2 almost weened rats each. When fed once a week they eat one. Is one better than the other?

They are getting move and more yellow on them. When I got them I got 1:1 but they have gotten mixed up and I am not sure which is which now.

I like your web site. Very informative.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Blue Gorgon
I feed my beauties once a week. I skip one every once in a while, particularly if they look like they're going to shed soon. Smaller food items more often is easier on the heart, the way I understand it, so I really prefer to go about it that way.

Thank you on the website. It still needs work, but I'm glad folks find it helpful. They're really wonderful underrated snakes once they calm down.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!