How do you give someone karma? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:26 PM   #31
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boid View Post
With regard to my previous comment, shouldn't I be breaking even? My karma points are negative right now.
Each person can earn their own "weight" of their "Karma power". So apparently people with a heavier weight gave you negative karma than those users who gave you positive karma. It is not a simple 1 vote rating system per member. For instance, one member might have a karma power rating of 100, and another might have a power rating of 2. If the one with 100 power gave you negative karma, and the one with the power of 2 gave you positive karma, that would leave you with a rating of -98 karma.

I believe there are threads about the karma system in this particular forum, so if you have questions, perhaps spending some time to look them up might explain things a bit better to you.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #32
Boid
Thank you for the response Rich. And thank you for keeping the site running and using the name "Fauna Classifieds." I'm glad Bill gave you permission to use the name for the site and it doesn't surprise me that he did so. He's a great person and I still consider him a friend even though we had a bit of a falling out years ago. I like to remember the good times and I think of our differences as water under the bridge. Most real friendships last forever and are made with unbreakable bonds. I used to help Bill and a few other friends collate, fold, and staple the pages together for the original Gillingham publication many, many years ago. After hours and sometimes days of work Bill would send them out in bulk to subscribers across the country and in foreign countries too. He also made an exotic animal directory and a fish directory. I can still remember seeing Trooper Walsh's ad for captive hatched Green Tree Pythons for $700 each. And Terry L. Vandeventer's ad as well as Bob Clark, Tom Crutchfield, and the names other herpers that I now have trouble remembering. Its nice to see familiar names still in the hobby after all these years and watch the hobby continue to grow and evolve, if you will. Thanks again.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:12 PM   #33
WebSlave
Yeah, that does bring back some memories. Seems to me I still have some paper copies of Bill's publication around here somewhere. I can remember when I had the site running under the name of HerpWantAds, and I kept on getting people placing ads for animals other than herps. So I figured perhaps changing the name might be a reasonable move to make. Of course, FaunaClassifieds just kept sticking in my mind as the best choice, but I knew that although Bill hadn't published anything under that name in quite a while, he would still ethically retain ownership to it. I was actually surprised when I asked him if I could have the name for a website and he agreed, as I thought for certain he would want to have an online presence himself under that name. I thought that was gracious and generous of him to relinquish the name.

But I will be honest, as little used as the non-herp sections are here, in hindsight I actually wish I had kept the name HerpWantAds and be done with it. All things considered, it would have been the smarter move. I still have the domain name, of course, but not sure attempting to move back to that would be a real wise idea.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up.

Is Bill doing OK? I hope he is doing well.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:28 PM   #34
Boid
Fauna Classifieds is a catchy name and I think Bill has a knack for marketing. I haven't spoken to Bill in about 18 years but as far as I know he is OK and is still living in Lodi. I used to see his son Jeff at the gym all the time before he went to college. In one of the last conversations I had with Jeff he told me that his dad had sold the business, that was around 2010 I think. The name "Serpentarium" is still around too but it just isn't the same without the original owner. Bill is one of a kind. I'll reach out to Bill one of these days in the near future just to make peace and catch up. I stayed away from the hobby for a while to focus on school and other interests. For some reason I always wind up going back to the snakes, its almost like I don't have a choice.

Following your advice I have been doing some research into the karma system, talk about opening up a fresh can of worms. I guess it has its pros and cons.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:00 PM   #35
WebSlave
Quote:
I guess it has its pros and cons.
That is true about every decision I have ever made here.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:02 PM   #36
Boid
I read you loud and clear and I think that I speak for most members when I say that I am with you one hundred percent

Old 01-15-2023, 07:33 PM   #37
WebSlave
Quote:
I read you loud and clear and I think that I speak for most members when I say that I am with you one hundred percent
I am really not sure how to take that.........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!