Getting Honduran Milksnake to eat hoppers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #1
lc_drakaina
Question Getting Honduran Milksnake to eat hoppers

Hi all,

I have a one-year-old Honduran milk snake. She's currently eating fuzzies and I have been trying to step her up to eating hoppers, but she won't take them even though I think she is large enough to swallow one without any problems (she did once before, but never again after that).

What are some methods to encourage her to eat larger mice? I worry that her eating fuzzies isn't sufficient enough for her age... but how long do you keep feeding your one-year-old fuzzies?

Random, but kind of related, do Honduran milk snakes generally grow a little slower (or smaller) than most species of kingsnakes? My MBK is roughly the same age and is growing like a weed and eating hoppers with no problem. I'm just kind of puzzled why my milk snake won't.

She's currently in a 32qt tub, 82F hot spot and 71F cool spot.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
Socratic Monologue
How much does the honduran weigh?

Feeding multiple fuzzies at a time until the snake gets comfortable with the next size up is an option (I feed many of my snakes multiple prey items at a feeding). Finding mice that are just a little larger than the current fuzzies might be possible, too -- ask your vendor for small hoppers, or buy a quantity and sort them yourself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeding, honduran milk snake, hoppers