Aquatic leo? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
geckogrl6
Aquatic leo?

I have been spotting one of my new hatchlings soaking in his water bowl for extended periods. At first, I just thought it was associated with his first shed, but 3 days later the behaviour persists. And this guy appears to be floating, croc-style, with just his eyes and the tip of his nose above the surface. He seems quite comfortable there, but is submerged to the point that I thought he had drowned at first. The temps are fine, his two tankmates sit in their hides very comfortably. Has not eaten yet, but not concerned just yet. Any thoughts on this strange quirk? I'm going to try to snap a pic if my man would stop "borrowing" my camera. Can these guys actually swim? Anybody know?

Old 05-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
ByRandom
I don't believe that they can swim, no. Perhaps he is a little stressed from having tank-mates? That was my initial thought. Or, perhaps it is a quirk.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
Leopard Geckos cannot swim, and I would recommend keeping the water level in the bowl more shallow to prevent drowning. Leos will sit in the water bowls when they are hot or have belly-aches, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
geckogrl6
Thank you. I have seen my other gex laying in the water when too hot or in labor, so at first I thought the tank was too hot. It's not. I'll be moving some tanks around, so I'll see if this behavior persists when he's less crowded. He was sitting in there last night even though I let some water out. It was only just past his knees, but he seems to want to immerse himself, sits in the deepest part and ducks himself down. I wonder if he's seeking the liquid comfort of the egg a la Freud. (sorry, I'm a psych major lol)

Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
IloveSnakes1234
meybe... he wants to be a water leo?? Wants to be different...or get away from his buddies.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Leighanne
Well IF and only IF its been to the Vet and tested and its perfectly healthy then you could rule out health problems and then maybe it just likes the water. Some Snakes are only comfortable eating in certain temps just as we all prefer certain temps. Some of us like bath time more then others. Maybe its a part of its special personality? If its healthy you never know?

Out of all nine Leos I have right now my first one Gex LOVES his water dish. He used to have a wider shallow stone water dish he stands in or stands over. Now he has more circular water dish he can't climb into but still likes to stand over top of it all the time. Gex gave me the impression he likes to soak his feet, and no hes NEVER had problems with shed skin not coming off. NEVER had a problem with his toes, so its beyond me why he likes sticking his feet in the water dish and sitting there. He even uses his dishes as pillows. TO cute! The other water dish is now a calcium dish. Its funny because hes right across from my bed and I watch him every night while falling asleep. Leos are kind of crazy. lol He digs at the bottom of the tank and at his paper towels, hes climbed under the paper towels.

My Tarantulas tank is the shelf under him and he saw dirt and a log and tried digging down to it, he looked very intrigued and I sat and watched him for like 20 minutes. The Tarantula was on a totally different side so he wasn't seeing the T just the dirt and log. He tries climbing his glass, he'll bask on anything and everything and in some pretty weird positions, like scrunching himself in between the rock and the glass and laying there looking really comfy and to you it looks really uncomfy. Bottom line is I've seen Geckos do a heck of a lot except for laying on their backs of course. They have a lot of personality. They are very interactive. Emaciated boy has jerked, wiggled and dug at the side of his tupperware hide. So maybe hes special and likes water more then most Leos. I bet that would qualify as some awfully cute pictures!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
geckogrl6
Well wouldn't you know I got my camera back last night, and waited all day today to catch him at it. No go. Tonight I moved him to a much bigger tank, so we'll see if he does it now. I can't say for sure he's healthy, he's only a week old. he appears healthy and normal so far. And Leighanne- I actually have seen a leo lay on its back. My spaz girl I think had a seizure, after which she flips herself back over ad looked around.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
Leighanne
Oh,thats really sad. I wouldn't want to see it under those circumstances. Its only a week old. Hummm. I hope its a personality thing.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
geckogrl6
Well, the behaviors back, but it looks like my camera's not working. I am watching his weight closely. And spaz girl has only had a couple of seizures. I thought about putting her down after the first one, but otherwise she is very happy. I think she's developing a nice relationship w/my man too. She had him hand feeding her, which I never do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!