female tree boa attacked male? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
xargentinex
female tree boa attacked male?

I was cleaning the cage and had female in tub put male in turned around to the female coiled around males head. She let go once i picked her up the male was okay but she literally choked the crap out of him lol. I have kept them together for the last month and dropped temps and have had 0 problems should i be worried she will kill the male? or was this my own stupidity adding him to the tub and she had a feeding response? The female ATB is maybe a foot longer and littler bit thicker then the male but both are breeding size. I also watched the vendor sex them in front of me so i'm 99% sure they are female and male.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
It could be that it is in fact not a female as males will combat, that is my main thought here. It sounds more like combat than feeding.

I was cleaning some cages years ago and had a baby corn escape and end up in the same cage as a young male ATB, found my atb coiled up around the corn. not trying to eat him, just being combative. (I was able to separate them and both were fine)

Could be she just isn't interested and was being territorial?

I paired up a male and female, turned out I had two females. ATBs are rather tricky to sex.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
xargentinex
she is beyond mean i have to keep the cage covered most of the time out of fear she will hurt herself striking the glass. They usually share the same hide and are always together either on top of each other or next to each other . The vendor i bought them from had breed atb previously and popped them in front of me i visibly seen the hemipenes on the garden male and seen nothing on the larger colored just cloaca i assume is the right word. once i put them back they each went into different hides and seemed fine. i just have never had this happen before and was worrying. Hopefully it was a 1 time issue.
Did you breed your atb and did you keep them together all the time or only introduced them once you seen breeding signs/ when you raised temperatures?

Old 12-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
I never house more than one per enclosure and have not yet had success breeding but I haven't really put the effort into it, I mostly keep them as pets. Once this whole covid thing is under control I'll be getting more serious about breeding the ones I have (I have 13).

It must have just been an off day then, I would suggest not keeping them together if you can.
best of luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!