Pet Detective: A Dog that Sniffs Out Colon Cancer - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
SamanthaJane13
Talking Pet Detective: A Dog that Sniffs Out Colon Cancer

By MEREDITH MELNICK Meredith Melnick – 2 hrs 46 mins ago

Your pet pooch already lowers your blood pressure and provides emotional support. What if it could also identify your early-stage colon cancer?

In a new study, a Labrador retriever that was trained to sniff out cancer was able to detect colon cancer nearly as accurately as a colonoscopy. The dog was given breath and stool samples of 306 patients, collected right before they received colonoscopies; 48 patients had recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer, and the other 258 were either suffering from another colorectal ailment or had survived cancer, or were healthy.

When smelling breath samples, the dog was at least 95% as accurate at identifying cancer as colonoscopy, and 98% correct when sniffing stool samples, the researchers found. Most impressively, the dog was especially good at spotting early stage cancer, and could discern polyps from malignancies, which colonoscopies can't do.

"Detection of early-stage cancers is the real holy grail in bowel cancer diagnosis because surgery can cure up to 90% of patients who present with early-stage disease," Trevor Lockett, a bowel cancer researcher with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization in Australia, told Bloomberg News.

Although there's not much hope for the routine use of scent dogs in cancer screening - they're too expensive, for one thing - the current findings suggest that other noninvasive screening measures could be developed to pick up the same scent.

"This study shows that a specific cancer smell does indeed exist," the researchers wrote in the study, published today in the medical journal Gut. "These odor materials may become effective tools in screening."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2011020...V0ZGV0ZWN0aXZl

Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
WebSlave
Well, I've always said that when I die I want to come back as a dog. But not THAT dog.........

Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Well, I've always said that when I die I want to come back as a dog. But not THAT dog.........
I don't know about that because don't all dogs sniff ? I won't even go any further about their licking abilities since this isn't posted in HELL.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!