Reticulated Python Colon Surgery - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #11
bcr229
No worries. My vet and I are actually Facebook friends so I just got the answer.

Nova got tramadol and meloxicam for pain. I guess they made her feel pretty good b/c her attitude changed overnight from witch-with-a-B to sweet as pie.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #12
Kimberely
I've had to take tramadol before, fairly strong narcotic. Not surprised she got all mellowed out on that!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
bcr229
WELL FINALLY SHE POOPED!!! It took a few weeks and some more small meals of 3-4 large/jumbo mice per feeding. I guess a retic doesn't leave a lot of "waste" when fed mice.

As an FYI her pre-surgery weight was 2.6 kg, she dropped down to 1.8 kg before she started eating, and now she's just under 2 kg now.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
bcr229
Talking

NOVA IS FINALLY HOME!!! And since she ate last week the vet said she could have three mice this week, and every five days for the next two months. Her attitude couldn't be better and she settled right in to her enclosure.

Watching a retic eat mice is rather ridiculous - think popcorn chicken.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #15
Helenthereef
All great news - and some entertainment value by the sound of it

Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
All great news - and some entertainment value by the sound of it
Ha, yes it was. Anyway, a few days ago she had a final checkup just to make sure there's no leakage and everything looks great. Over the next few weeks I can build her up to normal sized feeders.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #17
lilgreenbee
How is she doing? Is she eating normal sized prey now?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #18
bcr229
She is doing very well. She's still smaller than her sister but is catching up quickly, and eats a f/t large rat or 1/2# rabbit every 7-10 days.

She does have issues shedding around her surgical scar. We have to soak that area with a damp, moist towel and carefully remove the shed each time. Otherwise it tends to build up.

She's also gotten a lot more "social" and interactive. Supposedly personality isn't heritable, but she and her sister could be twins in looks and attitude.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #19
ShawneeAlice
Wow, that was a really interesting album. Props to whoever took the photos, you don't see that everyday. Poor girl with that icky stuff in her colon. Does the vet have any ideas how she could have gotten the colitis? Really glad she's doing better, and thanks for sharing her story

Old 09-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #20
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawneeAlice View Post
Does the vet have any ideas how she could have gotten the colitis?
No idea, apparently it's just one of those weird things.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!