Reticulated Python Colon Surgery - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #31
Helenthereef
Thanks a lot.
I'm taking Samael in for an X-ray tomorrow. Did you also have an X-ray of your snake that you can share?

Old 01-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #32
bcr229
More pictures
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #33
bcr229
Almost done...
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #34
bcr229
All done and sewn up
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #35
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Thanks a lot.
I'm taking Samael in for an X-ray tomorrow. Did you also have an X-ray of your snake that you can share?
No unfortunately we don't.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #36
Helenthereef
Ok, thanks for all the photos, I know our vet will be very interested.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #37
Helenthereef
It's like taking your car to the mechanic

Just back from the vet with good news.

He took three X rays, as below, and decided that the blockage is contained within the intestines, but there was no torsion, so we were pretty sure it was impacted faeces, not a tumour or a twist, making it possible to consider giving him oral laxatives.

We were just discussing laxative possibilities (anyone have an opinion on Mineral oil or Lactulose laxative in snakes?) when he started to pass urates.

That was messy but good news, but then there was a little blood in the urates, and a visible inversion of rectal tissue, and he passed a decent size stool, soft on the outside but dry and impacted on the inside. I've rarely been so happy to be pooped on

So, it's pretty obvious he had impacted faces for some reason, and we are hopeful that with the help of some mineral oil, which we are trying to source now, we may be able to shift the rest of it. The remaining lump is much smaller and softer and is nearer the cloaca than it had been, so we will continue with bathing and handling to keep him moving, and wait for another stool before we try feeing again.

I'm sure we are both much happier this morning - 3 - 4 months of constipation can't have been nice for him.

(Please excuse my rings in one of the X rays - the local vets aren't too thrilled to hold a snake still, so I had to do it myself)
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #38
bcr229
Excellent!

Old 01-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #39
Helenthereef
He passed a second stool that afternoon after another hour's soaking and massage, so now he's just going to rest for a few days before I try feeding him again.

I don't want to hijack your thread further, so I'll start a new one and detail the process I went through with Samael, in the hopes that someone else might find it as useful as this thread was to me. (Our newly certified surgical intern vet was fascinated by the surgery photos, thank you).

On that note, did you ever get / can you post the necropsy results of your python?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Since her particular case was included in the recently released edition of Mader’s Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery, Dr. Stahl will be doing a necropsy on her as a follow-up, in case he finds anything useful to include in a future release of the book.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #40
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
On that note, did you ever get / can you post the necropsy results of your python?
I did not get anything in writing. The vet did say that the internal and external incisions had healed very well and there didn't seem to be a lot of scarring, which is why they were thinking nerve damage that became evident or worsened as she grew.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!