New Member - TN native transplanted to Chicago - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
AnimalsNLit
New Member - TN native transplanted to Chicago

I'm originally from Knoxville, TN. Interested in all types of animals especially the human-animal interaction. I am a graduate student in English Literature & Composition. My thesis focuses on animals in literature from biblical times to the 21st century. I'm especially interested in obtaining my first snake. I have followed guys like Crutchfield, Clark, Sutherlands, etc.

- Cory

Old 12-29-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
Robert Walker
Welcome Cory - we hope you enjoy Fauna and find that first snake you are looking for!

Old 12-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalsNLit View Post
I'm originally from Knoxville, TN. Interested in all types of animals especially the human-animal interaction. I am a graduate student in English Literature & Composition. My thesis focuses on animals in literature from biblical times to the 21st century. I'm especially interested in obtaining my first snake. I have followed guys like Crutchfield, Clark, Sutherlands, etc.

- Cory
Welcome Cory! Faunaclassifieds is a great place to learn and grow with a community.

That is an interesting thesis, it reminds me of the story from Numbers about Balaam and his talking donkey. Keep in mind, that if your critter is acting weird, it's probably for a good reason. They can't talk, but they can communicate with us, we just have to listen.

The story starts in Number 22, if anyone cares to read it.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
AnimalsNLit
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure I will find a great snake. I'm looking at getting a Ball Python. I do not know him and have not spoken with him, but Markus Jayne in Toronto has some of the best snakes I've seen so far. I also like how organized he is. He also hasn't gotten too big in terms of organization. Seems he devotes a lot of time to their care. I also find it cool that he raises his own feed.

Jet:
In term of animals in the Bible..they are so numerous as you know. From Genesis to Revelation animals show up in some form or fashion. We read in Job 12:7-9, “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?" Authors throughout time have used animals in literature in many different ways. Some have used them to spark debate or advocate for animal welfare and rights. Others use animals for showing compassion. Some use them to torture people. For some it is therapy. And many many other ways. I'm still developing my thesis. Stay tuned.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
elena
Hi! I'd like to invite you to a meeting of the Chicago Herpetological Society. We meet the last Wednesday of every month at 7:30 at the Peggy Notebart Nature Museum in Lincoln Park. In addition to a monthly speaker, raffle, and general hanging out and having a good time, we also have an adoptions program that always has great animals available, and ball pythons are one of the most common adoptions. It's a great place to start looking for a new pet. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Robert Walker
That was a real nice gesture Elena, good job!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
AnimalsNLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
Hi! I'd like to invite you to a meeting of the Chicago Herpetological Society. We meet the last Wednesday of every month at 7:30 at the Peggy Notebart Nature Museum in Lincoln Park. In addition to a monthly speaker, raffle, and general hanging out and having a good time, we also have an adoptions program that always has great animals available, and ball pythons are one of the most common adoptions. It's a great place to start looking for a new pet. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.
This is awesome Elena. Thanks so much for the invite. Admittedly, I haven't gotten to explore all that Chicago has to offer. I'm excited to hear about the Chicago Herp Society. This will be a good opportunity to meet others as well. It's a new world for a southerner like me to arrive in the Big Windy City.

Just to confirm your next meeting will be January 25th? Elena if you know of any other ways to get involved ( take seminars or classes in the area geared toward this) let me know. I live in the north suburbs (off I-294 near Glenview, Northbrook, etc), but free to travel around. I plan on going to the reptile expo in Tinley Park when it comes to town. I talked to Mark Mandic from Toronto and he's coming to town for it. He specializes in ball pythons. Some of the best I've ever seen. I'm not opposed to adopting but I certainly would follow all necessary precautions (documentation, feeding records, etc). I'm picky but adoptions are a great thing. Some people have taken good care of their pet and just can no longer keep it for various reasons.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
elena
Yes, the 25th is correct. There are also all kinds of volunteer opportunities available through the CHS if you choose to become a member, which is around $25 a year. You are, however, welcome to come to meetings without becoming a member.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
AnimalsNLit
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena View Post
Yes, the 25th is correct. There are also all kinds of volunteer opportunities available through the CHS if you choose to become a member, which is around $25 a year. You are, however, welcome to come to meetings without becoming a member.
I will definitely become a member. I have reviewed the website and will print off the form and send in. Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!