How dangerous is a boa? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #21
romad119
I have put my madagascar tree boas around me neck before and at only 4 1/2 ft they can definitely cosntrict pretty tight. So I believe that they are capable of killing but its very unlikely.

Definite difference in ability to kill vs. to eat.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #22
clarinet45
I held an adult female red tail at the show last weekend. I have held many different kinds of snakes and I have a baby redtail of my own. I can't wait til she gets that big! Just from the weight of the animal on my shoulders and on my arms, I could tell that she could have done me serious harm if she wanted too. Killed me? If i didn't know how to uncoil a snake or there was no one else around or if she turned from a gentle giant to an anrgy croc, yes.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #23
sfaoldguy
If a boa got around your neck, it would be a matter of seconds (less than 10 is possible) before you passed out... I have seen someone pass out within 5 seconds after having a similar martial arts hold applied... That doesn't give much time to get yourself free... If the snake kept the pressure for any length of time, it is very possible that it would kill...

Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #24
sfaoldguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaoldguy
If a boa got around your neck, it would be a matter of seconds (less than 10 is possible) before you passed out... I have seen someone pass out within 5 seconds after having a similar martial arts hold applied... That doesn't give much time to get yourself free... If the snake kept the pressure for any length of time, it is very possible that it would kill...
I didn't say that to argue with anyone but in hopes that people will become more aware of the danger... Use extreme caution when handling such powerful predators even if it has been your pet for years...

It isn't fun feeling the pressure in your head shoot up... Your ears pop and your eyes feel like they are going to explode and then everything goes black almost instantly... I know because I was the one who passed out from the hold in a wrestling match where I got cocky... LOL...

Old 07-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #25
crotalusadamanteus
Well, it's kind of embarrassing, but I used to keep boas around my neck all the time. But, like mentioned........The arteries. LOL I knocked clean out from Aurora just putting "holding on" pressure to either side of my neck one time. I don't let them go all the way around my neck any more. That convinced me that in a severe situation, she had the strength to kill me.

Bu i don't believe her or any snake under 12 foot would have the strength to stop me from unwrapping them under normal conditions. And i am only of average strength, nothing to brag about. But i've had burms up to 13 foot in the past and a conda around 11 foot, and I'm not convinced they were stronger than me at all. And My male burm was an ass most all of the time.

The circumstances would have some play maybe. if you didn't have use of your hands for example, then they are plenty strong enough. Something severe like that.

Rick

Old 07-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #26
hhmoore
One thing to keep in mind that John Q Public is not necessarily going to proceed calmly and rationally in that situation...nor are emergency personnel.
I can think of a couple of occasions that snake encounters made the news locally. This is my favorite: A 4-4.5 ft albino burm (I think bit, and) constricted a teenaged pet shop employee's arm. She freaked out, and the other people in the immediate vicinity followed suit. Panic ensued. Emergency services were called in, and they quickly resolved the situation...by spraying the snake with a fire extinguisher. That example alone shows what the combination of inexperience and panic can do. If that same snake had been around her neck and tightened, that girl would probably have died

Old 07-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #27
monkeywrench133
I think the intro to that care sheet is completely factual. As sfaoldguy said, a couple seconds of pressure on the carotids and even the strongest guy in the world is out cold. but the thing is, in martial arts, once you're down, they let go, boas don't. I don't think the issue is whether or not a boa is dangerous, the issue is why are so many keepers unwilling to admit that fact. I think the answer is simple human nature. We don't want to admit that our beloved pets are in fact extremely well designed predators. People are uncomfortable with that fact. Unless its a reticulated python, for some reason very few people ever refer to retics as cute and cuddly. But people will refer to their burm or boa as "dog tame", completely ignoring the fact that this is an animal designed to crush its prey to death. I'm 6-2 and about 250lbs, but you better believe that anytime I'm dealing with a boid over 8 ft, I treat it with respect.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:29 AM   #28
markface
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaoldguy
that is more or less what i was saying in my previous post . even though it may not be likely , the potential is there . i studied judo for over 8 years and competed . i have seen big very strong men choked out in 5 to 10 seconds with pressure on the carotids . as i said before it seems most who have posted here saying they dont think its possible are looking at it from the point of view of someone who does know how to handle such a situation . someone who doesnt know what they are doing could very easily be overcome before they figured out what to do .

Old 07-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #29
Jake The Snake
Don't know if this is relevent but some care sheets say not to put any boas(I'm sure it would include any constrictor) around your neck as the muscle movements could cause you to faint or pass out. I agree, the possibilty is there, if a large boa wanted to squeeze you, it probably could end your life. Theres so many different angles you can look at this from.
Jake

Old 07-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #30
Mike Greathouse
Another thing to consider is a well placed bite. I'm sure that most of us have been bitten at one time or another by a large boa. While these bites are usually on the hands or arms, the bleeding can often be profuse. Imagine a similar bite on the neck striking an artery. The loss of blood combined with a possible coiling could incapacitate someone very quickly.

While all of these are worst-case scenarios and are unlikely, that doesn't eliminate the possibility for disaster. The power of the animals must be respected!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!