Hi. My name is ..... - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #41
Utta
Aww, I'm sorry Laura! Always sucks stepping on something you care for. I hate having to get rid of them

Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #42
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Wow Daveness, thanks for all the great pics!
You're welcome. While I know some enjoy the critters I do some will be satisfied just seeing pics of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Yep - but remember, even if your camera can't record it, you aren't missing it - you see it, you appreciate it; so many people don't even take the time to really see the "little" things right in their own backyard. All the photos I posted are from my own property - it's amazing what one can see if they just think "small"
I'm always looking for the little things. Just the other day a friend of mine wanted to go walking in the metro parks and I was having fun showing him all kinds of things he never would have seen on his own. He was quick to pick up some things after knowing where to look though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Oh, lucky you! Can't wait to see the shots! Tucson was where I encountered my very first Black Widow - it was a lose/lose for both of us; I inadvertently stepped on her in my backyard shed; she bit me. I lived, she did not, LOL.
I am so anxious to go I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. To catch critters both by cup and by film.

My first black widow was when I lived in California. I had found it in my garage and set her up in a 10 gallon on top of my dresser. She lived, but most of her kids didn't. She laid an egg sac in the tank but I did not see it and one night I came home and turned on the light that was hanging a few feet over the tank and dresser and there was a tent of web from the tank to the light that the babies had made after easily crawling through the screen lid I had on the tank. Well unfortunately I didn't know then what I know now (the babies couldn't hurt me) and I broke out the shop vac.

After that I used to keep them in gatorade bottles (back when they were glass). I had half a dozen of them on my desk at work. I would take a wire hanger and bend it into w's (or m's) and when I put into the bottle it would expand and the black widow would make its web using the hanger. I would put the bottle upside down and since the black widow would go to the top it made it easy to clean since it would drop it's finished prey item.

I only have a few widows right now and I look forward to picking up some more on this trip.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #43
LauraB
Quote:
Always sucks stepping on something you care for
True, Tyler - but especially so when you are barefoot. LOL
I knew not to go in there without sandals, I knew that huge tangled web was in the ceiling corner and who it's owner was. It was daytime - who'd a thunk she was on the floor at the very moment I walked in?? I do know it was more painful for me - justice, I guess

Dave, the Gatorage enclosure is a really good idea! And I think I probably would have done what you did - re: shop vac time. I love em, but I don't want to live with them unchecked! All the widows I enjoy now are outdoors in my yard.

Okay, here's one last one to endure from me. This was in the yard when I left for work this morning - I didn't take a lot of time setting up the shot or taking multiple shots due to time restraints, but pretty nonetheless, I thought.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #44
DAND
Sticking it to her.....

Title says it all.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #45
DAND
And a few more.....
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #46
LauraB
OMG! That is too cool, Dave! Hell, I can't tell what end is what on those two krazy stick kids! I love those things - and lucky you might have little stick babies running around

Here's a couple I took this AM - bad shots, but interesting to me, anyway.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!