"NOT AGAIN" - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
LauraB
Quote:
How about those 4 year old Classifieds that are resurrected inquiring about the availability of the hatchlings being offered?
"Hey, man, those still available?" just makes me want to smack somebody.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Twizted Paths
Hold a critter while reading, it will distract you & occupy your hands. It's also harder to flame people while typing with one hand.

*Woo- saah*

Save the anger for the My ____'s sick what do I do?! threads that are coming.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Tiger Lilly
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
...Personally, I would prefer to not have people here chase away new members with a slap to the face about using the search function. This is a DISCUSSION forum, after all. There is no requirement that someone cannot discuss something in a new thread that may have been covered in an older thread. If someone makes a post you aren't interested in, you are not obligated to read it, much less reply to it.
Rich, please don't mistake my rant in the Sound Off forum as any kind of intent to chase away new members. I did ask for a polite way to point them in the right direction. I am eager to help anyone when I can, hence, this post. The reason it is in the sound off forum is because it was aggravating.
Maybe the search link could flash in red or something to get peoples attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
I think a well done FAQ or sticky is a good idea. But also, sometimes when a new person asks an ordinary question, he might just be looking to get a conversation started and get involved in the group.

If you welcome him/her and point to the FAQ (which will also have info about the search function) and then he researches and comes back with more advanced questions, then he is learning and participating.

If he doesn't do any reading or research and just wants to be spoon fed, just ignore him. I bet though that if you do the welcome thing, more people than not will read your FAQ and thank you, and you will have won over a new aficionado.

Not everyone can find or knows about the search, there are still some of us who are not very facile with the computer. When I first came to this site, I didn't even register correctly and had to ask for help just getting on here.
Lucille, as was pointed out a couple of posts after yours, a sticky would be a good idea, but there is no guarantee it would be read. All valid points, as usual. I hadn't thought about the whole wanting to start a conversation aspect of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Remember.. it's the 10th time you've read that question, but it's the FIRST time they've asked it.
If the questions bugs you, ignore it and move on to enjoy other threads. There's a huge possibility that someone else will come along to answer the questions, and save you the frustration. Later, you'll end up answering when you're in a better mood when the NEXT person asks the same questions. It's sort of like tag-team forum work.
Theresa, You're right, and that's a big part of the frustration--we tend not to remember that the person asking the question is doing so for the first time. Please don't think I was in a bad mood when I wrote this--it was simply a moment of frustration--I don't do bad moods! Ok, lack of caffeine & not being awake, yeah. Maybe I should stop making posts when I'm not fully awake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
A FAQ page or sticky is all fine and well only if it is seen and read. It could be in 4 inch letters and still not used.
How about those 4 year old Classifieds that are resurrected inquiring about the availability of the hatchlings being offered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
Those are from the newbies that used the search function.

It's a no win situation. Just practice your deep breathing exercises and wait it out. Three months and schools back in, it'll die down then. I've lurked in many forums on & off for years and it's a definite cycle, like cicadas or locust swarms.
Maybe the Bite Club should be mandatory reading, find the worst picture on there and when they irk you send them the link.
Annabella, you win for making me laugh! I particularly like your idea of linking them to the Bite Club , (but don't worry, Rich, I promise I won't do it! ).

All in all, lessons learned...
No posting when I'm not fully caffeinated
No slapping newbies in the face
No more ranting about newbies
No more sounding off in the sound off forum

Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Twizted Paths
I found the perfect place to send them!!

Attention Don't Click This

Also found a spiffy translator for the ones who can't understand it when you even loosely use proper grammar and punctuation when posting. I'll look for one that will translate them for us as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
DAND
Quote:

Also found a spiffy translator for the ones who can't understand it when you even loosely use proper grammar and punctuation when posting. I'll look for one that will translate them for us as well.
Now you know Richard is probably going to click it and cuss at you later.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #16
kmurphy
Quote:
What is more of an issue; The fact that someone reads a classified and, not looking at the date, assumes it is current, or that there are 4 year old classifieds still popping up? Usually after one comment most learn to look at the date before posting.

As for "newbies" asking questions. Sometimes people ask questions because they want to get involved but don't feel they have anything to add. So they ask a question to get something started.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Tiger Lilly
ROTFLMFAO

Quote:

THAT (those) were AWESOME!
I found the first one particularly entertaining...

Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
Twizted Paths
No Cussing me....

I fought the temptation and won.

This time

Next time though....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!