Picking a new project, need market advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
rowselki
Picking a new project, need market advice

Hi Everyone!

I recently switched gears in my projects and have handful of normal females that I need to find a new plan for. In addition to my normal females, I have 3 possible het lavender girls that i need to find a male for, only 1 of the hets will be ready to breed this year. I'm pretty new to breeding BP's and can't throw too much cash into a project so I'd like to make sure I'm choosing wisely.

The impatient side of me would like to get a nice co-dom male and start seeing some morphs asap, but the gambling side of me would like to try my odds with seeing some lavender babies. I don't have a specific co-dom in mind because every time I turn around a new one catches my eye. (I do want to stay away from any morphs with wobble or kinking issues as I have mixed feelings on the whole situation there.) I'm sure I'm not the only one out there thats torn between projects and I was hoping you guys could give me your opinions.

If I get a co-dom male I'd want one ready to breed this year and could spend around $700 max. If I go with the lavender, I think I'd have to buy a young male to keep it within my price range and then I'd be losing another year and I'd be starting a long term recessive project rather than an 'instant gratification' co-dom project.

Do you think lavenders will hold their value and what co-dom would you recommend based off my price limits and the market?

Thanks for your time!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Randy F
I would look at the direction you want to go to help you decide. I usually recommend to get some yellow bellies in a collection. Pumas, super stripes, hiways all need yellow belly not to mention many other cool morphs. With that said, you can buy a pastel yellow belly male and still have enough for another snake. With that you can make pastels, yellow bellies, and maybe pastel yellow belly girls to hold back. Another way to go is a three gene male which puts odds in your favor for hatchlings. As for spiders, most do not have issues and of those that do it is usually when eating or stressed and slight. In my experience all spiders that I have bred that do not have a wobble do not produce offspring with wobbles. Now that said, it is possible. I picked up a insane bee female but is seriously retarded, I am going to breed her and see how the offspring turns out. If they all are like her, she will never be bred again. As for you het lavs, I would try and find someone local that you can trust to do a breeder loan. If it proves out then you can keep a female and sell the rest of your half to buy a unrelated male to breed.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Araidia
Buy what you love, if you really like a morph then they'll be plenty of other people that do too so there won't be a problem selling them, just be sure to buy a good quality example of the morphs. With normals I would pick up the best quality two or three gene male that you can afford, pick what genes you like then you'll get lots of pretty co dom babies to grow up for cooler stuff in the future instead of having mostly normals or possible hets. By then all your poss het lavs will have plenty of size on them and you can use some of the money from the codom babies to get a nice male lavender. For codoms i think a good base would be something with fire, yb, or spider. They can make a lot of cool combos when mixed with other genes. Recessive genes hold their value best but what I did when I started out was to get a few codom females and grow them up before I got a recessive male, then you have something cool to breed him to. Good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!