Female veiled digging - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
PythonWallace
Question Female veiled digging

My female has been digging in her substrate for about a week. She is only 6 months old and isn't very big yet. I have a male to breed her to when she is ready, but I haven't seen her change to the blue color and I thaught she would have to be older before she was ready to breed. Is she just restless or looking for bugs, or is she looking for a place to lay eggs? Should I try to breed her now, or if she is digging is it too late to breed her? Anyone know what's going on?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
PythonWallace
Anyone know what's going on with her?

Old 03-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
if you know she is too small. do not breed her. It could be hormones kicking in, but since i dont know enough about chams i cant say for sure why shes doing this.

My suggestion is to avoid breeding her till you know shes truly ready.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
tail shaker
How big is she? Has she seen the male? Veiled chameleons communicate better than any other herp I know and females are pretty much capable of breeding at one or two months old. If you let her see the male, she will let you know if she is ready and willing to breed. I usually just hold the Male in my hand outside of the females enclosure, making sure that he is in plain sight. The female will react one way or another. If she remains a pale green (usually, but not always developing sky blue spots) then she is receptive. If she is not receptive however, she will become black as night. If she does show that she is receptive, then you may introduce the male, but know this. The mating of veileds is not pleasant for the female. He will poke her with his snout and bite at her vicously but seldom do any injuries occur. When she is done, however, she will become black all over and turn her aggression on him and he will cower in the corner of the cage hiding where ever he can and that is when you should remove him. My breeding pairs usually enjoy each others presence for about 18 hours at most so once breeding has begun, you should monitor them over the next day, sometime during which the male will be begging you to remove him from that crazy bitches cage. Good luck

Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
PythonWallace
Thanks, Jesse, Ok, she is 11" snout to vent and 6 months old. She is plenty old enough, so last night I took her to my friend's house who has the male. In the car she displayed the bright blue on her casque and along her sides. Good timing. So I introduced her to his cage and she crept up to within 24" of him and started basking. He slowly walked over to her and started displaying his color and puffing up. She didn't flinch, and he mounted her and after a few minutes of grabbing her it looked like it was happening. About 15 minutes later he backed off a little but was still holding her sides. She didn't turn solid black or attack him, but she did get very bright yellow spots as well as some patches of black/ dharcoal areas. Did this breeding take, or will her disposition flip if it goes right?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!