BOI Button on User Posts - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
TripleMoonsExotic
Arrow BOI Button on User Posts

With all the recent posts about users not researching a buyer first or having no knowledge about the BOI in general, I thought maybe I could make a suggestion.

At the bottom of every post made by a user are a set of buttons linking to the Ads and Gallery of the user. Why not create a button that, when clicked, runs a search in the Board of Inquiry for the name in the users profile. You will come up with dud results just like you do when running a search manually, but it will short cut for those who aren't very forum savvy.

In reality, it's really only a minor line of code and really shouldn't be a huge expense for Rich to implement (if he likes the idea).

Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
DAND
I was just thinking of something similar:

Showing the number of BOI threads shown along with the other information, and better yet, have them linkable.

BOI threads:

Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
Well, I'm not thinking about anything that complex...Mostly because the cost of that would be much more then what I'm suggesting. Basically what I'm looking for is just a button next to Ads & Gallery buttons that runs a search in the BOI for the name listed in the profile. Pulling multiple statistics and outputting the data, from a coding standpoint, would be a PITA...Not to mention additional strain on the servers. A simple search button wouldn't be so hard to implement.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Twizted Paths
I like it.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
chamgirl99471
Interesting Idea... and Very Good I think

Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
WebSlave
Well, I'll give this some thought. But I hope you all know that keyword searches can be real particular about spelling and the words actually searched for. So this would only work in cases where people would use the name in the profile for when they posted BOI threads. Perhaps my programmer can utilize the search function already within the site, as I believe it does have a bit of "fuzzy search" capability built in. Just not sure how "fuzzy" it is, however, and how useful it will be in this sort of application.

I guess my concern would be a mismatch in spelling might lead someone to erroneously believe there was nothing about the person they were looking for on the BOI. Of course, it could help provide disincentive for people already looking shady on the BOI from posting in the classifieds at all, so maybe the tradeoff would be fair....

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
Utta
Could you have your search function search the posters name? (Or is that what you were talking about)

Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Could you have your search function search the posters name? (Or is that what you were talking about)
Yes. I assume it will use the name in the profile field. The problem can be more easily understood by glancing at the BOI and seeing the number of threads that do not have the person's NAME in the thread title line. Or the name may be different from the name in the profile if they have an account here. Computers are VERY literal in keyword searches unless sophisticated routines are employed to make them for cognizant of spelling differences and close enough matches.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yes. I assume it will use the name in the profile field. The problem can be more easily understood by glancing at the BOI and seeing the number of threads that do not have the person's NAME in the thread title line. Or the name may be different from the name in the profile if they have an account here. Computers are VERY literal in keyword searches unless sophisticated routines are employed to make them for cognizant of spelling differences and close enough matches.
Yeea, I get it now. And I'm guessing what DAND suggested would have legal ramifications due to possible loss of business and you could get sued. Correct?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
Twizted Paths
Can you open the tags back up so that the posts could be tagged with the person's user name, legal name & if applicable business name?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!