New snake, eating habits.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
adamjames86
New snake, eating habits....

I just bought a beautiful female andean milk. She only eats thawed pinkies. Now Im wondering how hard it would be to get her to eat live pinkies instead and also would it ever be possible to get her to eat other snakes and lizards in the future? I live in Louisiana and come across lizards, snakes, and frogs all the time. I had a speckled king snake in the past that i caught in the wild and he ate anything. Is it possible to get my new one to do that?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Ntyvirus
I would stay away from field caught food just on the premise of avoiding possible parasites. As far as swapping to live pinkies from froze, I have no idea as the problem is usually the opposite.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
stolenheron
if you do want to go to WC food lizards and snakes, you can freeze them for a few weeks and that should kill off most of the parasites. If you do go with wild caught food, just make sure you get your animal dewormed regularly and you should be fine, stay away from amphibians, water snakes, and other aquatic animals...wild caught garter snakes, ribbon snakes, and some of the smaller snake species which sometimes prey on amphibious animals can be a problem too. they can be chocked full of parasites.

id recommend sticking to wild caught anoles, maybe some racers, etc. IF you feel the need to go to WC instead of rodents or farm raised reptile feeders.

I ONLY use wild caught to feed some wild caught rat snakes FROM TIME TO TIME, when feeder rodents are running low. The should be supplemental and used sparingly for parasitic reasons as mentioned, but you should be ok generally if dewormed regularly as also stated earlier.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Women
I really don't think you should be feeding her live food it is best to stick with frozen thawed it is safer for your snake.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
legendlime05
why in the world would you want to just go catch her food?

what if she decide she likes the lizards you bring her the best, so you try to do that every time. then she decides she ONLY wants the lizards. now what? you going to buy live anole every time? as an adult? stick to rodents, please.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
adamjames86
Ur right. But it was just a question cause I had a kings name that ate anything before. I was just curious. But I do live in Louisiana and I come across all kinds of critters EVERYDAY. Not that hard for me but I understand ur concern.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Women
Let me ask you this are you looking out for her well being or your's? live food in the wild carry alot of parasites that can hurt her and could even kill her. Sticking with frozen thawed mice is the best thing for her and like I said it is safer for her please take my advise on this one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!