Mexican black kingsnakes always black? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Kriscuit
Mexican black kingsnakes always black?

I just have a quick question regarding Mexican black kingsnakes:

I turned down an offer for a young (less than a year old) kingsnake because it has some light pink specking on its sides, and I'm hoping for one that is jet black. After researching the species further I learned that any coloration usually fades with age (similar to the orange neck ring on my mussurana). But then I saw an ad on this site for an adult (looked to be at least three feet) Mexican black that still has some yellow specking on it.

So I just wanted to ask: Do these snakes ALWAYS lose the specking when fully grown, or do some keep it their whole lives? I really want my adult king to be entirely black and am trying to decide whether or not to buy the one available to me.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
davy a.
In my experience the MBK's SELDOM lose the spotting--so pick the blackest one you can find.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
RossCA
Really hard to say without seeing a picture. There are juveniles that start off almost all black with a very slight amount of speckling/pattern, especially on the lower sides and ventrals. Those ones turn solid black. As adults they are actually a very dark brown.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
tspuckler
If they have solid black parents the babies will lose and pattern that they have, which tends to be very little (specks of white on the lower sides). If the adults have some pattern, then the babies may never lose their patterns. I've been breeding Mexican Black Kings for 15 years and these are my observations.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Kriscuit
Thanks for the info, guys. Luckily I found a breeder selling a jet black baby (minus a white chin) and decided to go with them, rather than risk having a speckled adult. He should be arriving tomorrow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!