Safety Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
JohnG1122
Safety Questions

I was thinking about taking a Burmese Python soon from my friend bc he is going away and cant take it w him to college and he is a nasty lil guy tand as you know they can reach 19 or more feet on average. I am a Boa owner and have some experience w constrictors. But knowing that this snake gets to a big length i would like to know what can be done to prevent attacks or help against them.
I heard that if a snake is sprayed w alcohol it would release from its constricting (dont know if this is true)
I also heard if its skin is pierced w something it would release as well (obviously I would not want to hurt the snake)
Just wondering if anyone knew anything in this area?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
hhmoore
Burmese pythons are illegal to keep in the State of NY, John...that SHOULD be all the discussion you need, lol.

Spraying alcohol often inspires many constrictors to release their bite (they may or may not release their "grip" at the same time). Piercing the skin...you mean stabbing?? In a dire emergency, it has been tried by some...but a person is just as likely to end up dead as he is to be released.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG1122
I was thinking about taking a Burmese Python soon from my friend bc he is going away and cant take it w him to college and he is a nasty lil guy tand as you know they can reach 19 or more feet on average. I am a Boa owner and have some experience w constrictors. But knowing that this snake gets to a big length i would like to know what can be done to prevent attacks or help against them.
I heard that if a snake is sprayed w alcohol it would release from its constricting (dont know if this is true)
I also heard if its skin is pierced w something it would release as well (obviously I would not want to hurt the snake)
Just wondering if anyone knew anything in this area?
I'd just hold him under a cold tap/shower. the shock of the old water makes them let go instantly. I've had to do it with a burmese, a ball and a mexican black king snake. it had the same effect in each case and the snake remains unharmed.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
hhmoore
There is no such thing as "having" to do that with a ball, or a kingsnake,...there is absolutely no threat to your well being, and neither is a particularly painful bite. And if you are endangered, your energies are better spent in other ways than struggling into the shower with your burm. (and if the burm is small enough that it is not endangering your life - see my prior comment about the BP and king)

Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
hhmoore
as long as we're on the subject - it has been addressed several times:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...highlight=pool
and some other pertinent discussion
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...165#post486165
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...hlight=carotid

Old 10-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
There is no such thing as "having" to do that with a ball, or a kingsnake,...there is absolutely no threat to your well being, and neither is a particularly painful bite. And if you are endangered, your energies are better spent in other ways than struggling into the shower with your burm. (and if the burm is small enough that it is not endangering your life - see my prior comment about the BP and king)
Which leads to another point. I get the impression that the burm in question is small. If it's a big specimen then trying to handle it by himself is a bad idea. If there's someone with you then they might be able to grab a bucket of water to tip over the snake. If it was me, i'd have a bucket of cold water on stand-by just in case. It always pays to think ahead.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
reddog4063
I've owned a large burm before, it was my first snake. Rule #1 is always have 1 person for every 6-7 feet of snake. Thats the safest you can possibly be. I'm a big guy about 6'4'' and 267lbs and I won't handle a 10, 12, 14 fter all alone. Even if its just someone in the next room over who can hear you that is better than being alone.

Don't trust your life to a cold water or alcohol method that may or may not work.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog4063
I've owned a large burm before, it was my first snake. Rule #1 is always have 1 person for every 6-7 feet of snake. Thats the safest you can possibly be. I'm a big guy about 6'4'' and 267lbs and I won't handle a 10, 12, 14 fter all alone. Even if its just someone in the next room over who can hear you that is better than being alone.

Don't trust your life to a cold water or alcohol method that may or may not work.
the bucket of water is for the other person in the room to tip over the snakes head.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
constrictorcrazi74
not all preventions work just depends on how bad the snake wants to let go . i own allot of large constrictors and there strength shouldn't be under estimated . my 15 ft green burm polled my refrigerator across my garage floor with out any hesitation. Burms should be respected and handled with a great deal of care . i got nailed by a 10 foot burm and he pulled me against the side of the cage like i was nothing . not all techniques work i handle my large retics and burms with 3 friends in the room . just do your research and play it safe .

Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Wilomn
The pail of water, LOL, is about as much good as spitting into the wind and not and expecting to stay dry.

Alcohol almost always works, ALMOST being the key word there. Stabbing the snake may make it let go but is more likely to make it squeeze tighter so that whatever is stabbing it will stop.

Holding it's head underwater is a WONDERFUL idea, especially if you're all wrapped up while you're doing it. Afterall, the snake isn't the only one who can hold its breath more than 20 minutes, is it?

snakelover, have you ever owned a large constrictor?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!